Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Wrapping ADF (Augmented Dickey-Fuller) R Test in Alteryx using R Tools or R Packages

sstrange31
5 - Atom

I just want to see if anyone has had any luck wrapping an ADF test using R in Alteryx. Im fairly new to the R side of Alteryx.Honestly, any time series based R testing would help a lot!

6 REPLIES 6
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @sstrange31

From the other direction, I know nothing of the ADF test.  However, I've attached a workflow that generates some dummy data and passes it into R. I then run the ADF test on one of the variables; (again: I don't know what the test is, at all, so please take with a grain of salt).

I then pass the original dataset to Output#1 and the results of the ADF test to Output#2.

Hopefully that at least helps get you rolling.

- John

sstrange31
5 - Atom

@JohnJPS 

Thanks soooooooo much. That was above and beyond anything I thought i'd get. Thanks so much for the help.

I have an additional question if you don't mind: Is there a way for me to wrap it in a loop? Like lets say I have a set of 1000 records for 3 Widgets. Is there a way to loop through and have 3 records for output by my WidgetID? I would think it would have less overhead than wrapping this in a macro and calling R multiple times.

I have attached an adapted version of your wf as an example.

Example "looped" output

Widget     Statistic

1              -10.12

2              -9.14

3              -10.6

Again thanks so much for the help. Sorry if I am not explaining it precisely I am not super versed in R jargon.

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Sure, that's pretty striaght-forward in R; I've attached a new workflow that generates slightly different data and does the ADF within with WidgetID:

library(tseries)

df <- as.data.frame(read.Alteryx("#1", mode="data.frame"),stringsAsFactors=FALSE)

# ADF test on column "r" grouped by WidgetID...
outDF <- aggregate(df$r, list(df$WidgetID), adf.test)

# alteryx often prefers everything as character data...
outDF[, ] <- lapply(outDF[,], as.character)

write.Alteryx(df, 1)
write.Alteryx(outDF, 2)

I also force the output dataframe to as.character, which gets rid of an odd error you sometimes see passing things from R back to Alteryx.

Hope that helps!

John

sstrange31
5 - Atom

Hey @JohnJPS ,

again thanks so much for the help. That was definitely what i was looking for but i think i messed up on the example. I was just trying to convey the three input sets. How can i get the rest of the results  that i saw with the first workflow you provided?

statistic                                     parameter              alternative                     p.value               method                                              data.name
-10.1034752108035                9                             stationary                     0.01                    Augmented Dickey-Fuller Test           df$r

I tinkered around and dropped the "[, ]" off the outDF which got me some results that i can transpose but i just wanted to get your opinion on whether that was SOP or if im just hacking it together. Here is the code i updated:

library(tseries) 
df <- as.data.frame(read.Alteryx("#1", mode="data.frame"),stringsAsFactors=FALSE) 

# ADF test on column "r" grouped by WidgetID... 
outDF <- aggregate(df$r, list(df$WidgetID), adf.test) 
# alteryx often prefers everything as character data... 
outDF <- lapply(outDF[,], as.character) 
write.Alteryx(df, 1) 
write.Alteryx(outDF, 2)

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @sstrange31,

I had another look at it and, frankly, I'm not exactly polished on the R apply/grouping functions.  Based on this post at StackOverflow, and in particular the answer that looks at performance, I tried it using a data.table rather than a data.frame, and the code is actually almost identical, and should be faster if you're running a lot of data through it.

library(tseries)
library(data.table)
dt <- setDT(read.Alteryx("#1", mode="data.frame"))
outDT <- dt[, adf.test(r), WidgetID]
write.Alteryx(dt, 1)
write.Alteryx(outDT, 2)

It also didn't have any trouble with the format of the output (so I could exclude the lappy/as.character stuff entirely, and it provided the output pretty much exactly as you desire, column headers and all:

image.png

... although, you may have to sort it; for some reason it comes in haphazard order for WidgetID.

Hope that helps!

John

sstrange31
5 - Atom

Thats exactly what i was looking for! Again, thanks so much for taking the time to help me out! Have a great weekend!

Labels