Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Working with a .txt file with dups headers

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

Hello friends, 

I have a text file (sample attached) that I am having a tough time working with on Designer. As you can see the headers (dates and office address) appear on each page. Column headers (Invoice no, postal code etc.) for data are consistent throughout all pages. What I'm trying to accomplish is to get an output file (preferable on Excel) where the headers (date and address stuff) only appear once at the top of the sheet and all other data are then merged (append). In this way, I will have one file with unique column headers to do my analysis. 

19 REPLIES 19
itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

It worked. Thank you so much!

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Glad to hear

Happy to help : ) @itssumanb 

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05 can you direct me to the best resources (links) for learning Alteryx Regex or your recommendation as to how I can approach towards learning this powerful Alteryx functionality? I love them but can never get to understand how to write 🙂

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @itssumanb 

You can refer to this website it should be helpful https://regexr.com/

You can definitely post it has a new question so that lot more people can share you their learning journey. I mostly learnt it by exposure and experience 🙂

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

hi @atcodedog05 ,

I hope you are well. I am back hoping you can help me one more time 🙂

In the raw text file (which you already helped me with parsing) each page has headers that are duplicates. You already helped me with parsing the data but what I also need is this header to appear at the very beginning of the output file. I only need the header once in the beginning and then the data will follow. In the pic attached I put green tick marks in the headers meaning I need those on the first page and don't need them afterward.  

itssumanb_0-1628706994595.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @itssumanb 

This would be tricky. Is it possible to share the expected output file.

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

Hello @atcodedog05 

I have attached both the input file (text) and the expected output file (excel). Thank you very much for your help. 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @itssumanb 

Sorry, i was only able to make it work using reporting tools.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1628793606864.png

Output:

atcodedog05_1-1628793627393.png

Hope this helps : )

itssumanb
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05 Fantastic ! Thank you so very much

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help : ) @itssumanb