Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Working with Dates: Convert Multiple Fields Simultaneously & Overwrite Existing Fields

DultonM
11 - Bolide

Hello Community! I posted an idea (here) awhile ago about ways to improve the DateTime tool. Specifically I am looking for a way to convert multiple fields at a time (rather than use multiple DateTime tools) as well as overwrite the old field with the converted one (instead of having a Select tool after every DateTime tool). @RodL mentioned that this could be done with the Multi-Field tool. This workaround has worked great, but it would be nice to have these features packaged into a tool (macro) that gives a similar feel to the DateTime tool and is easier to configure than the Multi-Field Formula. Anyone want to give this a shot?

14 REPLIES 14
Fz
8 - Asteroid

Hey, 

I managed to solve the first bug ( I change xls to xlsx ) but I had another problem : 

I try to change date from dd.mm.yy to   dd/mm/yy so fistable i use a DataTime parse Krew to change string into date and date into string. but the second DataTimeParse doesn't work ( the columns retrurns Null )

pgensler
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Fz 

Can you attach a workflow with the issue, or a small subset of what your data is, if possible? I've run into that same behavior before, and when I've tried to create a workflow to reproduce it with minimal tools, I cannot do so, which is puzzling. I've seen a similar behavior when there is at least 6+ of the tools on the canvas, and the only way I've been able to fix it is through re-positioning the tool to a new spot on the canvas, almost to reset or clear the cache the tool creates.

Fz
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

i join a part of my woorkflow. Firstable I use DataTime parse Krew to change string into date ( dd.MM.YY) to (YYYY.MM.dd). and I use the second DataTime parse Krew to convert  date YYYY.MM.dd to string  dd/MM/yy. but i don''t find the list of my date when i check date/Time format 

Capture.PNG

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Fz,

I'm a fan of DateTimeParse.  I would rather have complete control of the parsing instead of the use of the macro.  I am providing you with conditional logic to support the translation of multi-formats into a date as an example.  This single formula will convert data in either of your formats into an ISO date format.

IF
           REGEX_Match([Date Field], "\d{2}\.\d{2}\.\d{2}")
// mm.dd.yy
THEN DateTimeParse([Date Field],"%d.%m.%y")
ELSEIF
           REGEX_Match([Date Field], "\d{4}\.\d{2}\.\d{2}")
// YYYY.mm.dd
THEN DateTimeParse([Date Field],"%Y.%m.%d")
ELSE
Null()
ENDIF

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
MaFer
5 - Atom

Hi Kenda.

I'm having issues adding your macro to my flow, an error appears stating "Error: DateTime Parse KReW (15): The Action "Tool #15" has an error: ParseError: Unterminated entity reference, 'T' at line 1 and column 1417 while processing "Action_UpdateRawXml"

Can you please help?

Labels