Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Workflows with Google Sheets input not loading dependent tool configuration when shared

mfgrillo
6 - Meteoroid

Hello! I'm having the following issue, where when receiving a workflow from a coworker which uses Google Sheets as one of its inputs, when I try to configure tools the configuration that was on my coworker's side is not showing up on my end.

For example my coworkers unique tool is configured like this:

Coworkers Unique Tool ConfigurationCoworkers Unique Tool Configuration

Wheras when he saves and shares his workflow with me the configuration for the same tool looks like this:

How it appears on my endHow it appears on my end

Once I run the workflow for the first time the Google Sheets data loads correctly, however the unique tool now looks like this:

Screenshot_3.png

With no values selected. If it were just this tool this wouldn't be much of an issue but this problem is replicated with sunsequent tools, like for example unions looking like this:

Screenshot_4.png

Where #1 and #2 receive inputs from those same google sheets. When I run the workflow the load onto the union correctly but with no respect to the original order for unioning up my coworker had them in. I have dozens of instances with this issue and would ideally like a solution where my coworker and I can share workflows between ourselves without running into this problem. Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mfgrillo ,

You need to go inside the google sheets macro and go to options > interface designer > gear icon

and check the last option as image below, then after running once the workflow, it will be saved for next runs.

fmvizcaino_2-1616000916180.png

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/interface-designer-window

fmvizcaino_0-1616000848470.png

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

mfgrillo
6 - Meteoroid

@fmvizcaino,

Thanks so much for your response! Upon opening up the macro I seem to already have this configuration set up, however. Is this the config that my coworker should have to send the workflow to me? I'd test with him but he's out for the following week and I would like to get this done soon.

I saw this message upon opening up the macro: 

mfgrillo_0-1616004425572.png

What piece of configuration in the GUI file should I be modifying here?

Thanks!

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mfgrillo ,

You can press 'OK' and go to the options > interface designer and check the box as I've mentioned before.

I could be wrong, but the html gui is related to the input only, you don't need to configure anything in the GUI for the output.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

mfgrillo
6 - Meteoroid

@fmvizcaino ,

right, but what I'm saying is that the configuration you showed is already the one I have set up, unless I'm missing something:

mfgrillo_0-1616005879192.png

Any other ideas? Thank you!

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mfgrillo ,

Sorry, I just saw your full response in the last post.

If this configuration was already set up, I guess that by running the workflow once and saving, the configuration will be then saved from now on. Besides that, I've runned out of possible solutions.

But unfortunately, you would need your coworker to help you configuring all the tools once again.

@danilang , @MarqueeCrew , @CharlieS any ideas?

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @mfgrillo 

When you open the workflow in Designer, it tries to rebuild all the meta data. Since it can't do this for the google sheets input, it looses the config for the downstream tools.  You need a way to run the existing workflow without opening it in designer. 

Fortunately, this is where the crew macros can help.  Create a new workflow with a single Runner macro.  In the "Alteryx Module/Macro/App to run" setting in the Runner macro, put in the path to the workflow you want to run.  This will need to be the path to a version that you've never opened in designer, so if it was sent in an email get a new copy of the attachment.  Add Browse tools to both the S and F anchors on the Runner macro so you can see the results

The Runner macro will send the workflow directly to Alteryx Engine without trying to rebuild any existing metadata.   The workflow will run with the original config as set up by your co-worker   

Dan

Labels