Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Workflow produced no output

areeba
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

My workflow is running successfully in the gallery and the output is also getting save in the output folder where I want to store it but on gallery it says Status: Success. This workflow produced no output which is confusing, though it already had.

Please have a look at the screenshot and let me know , how should I solve it?

areeba_0-1603980481746.png

Regards

Areeba

7 REPLIES 7
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@areeba  It's a confusing topic. When run in the gallery, you would need to either output to a relative path (so your output tool would save to Filename.yxdb for example) or package the output tool when you save to the gallery (check the box via the workflow options >> manage workflow assets screen). Files that are written anywhere else (like network or temp folders) are written but not displayed for the end user.

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @areeba 

Joining the conversation a little late, sorry.

What I do in this cases, is to add a report at the end of my workflows, that basically says what ran, where the output was written and a link to that file/s.

This is a very simple example of one.

aguisande_0-1614352511014.png

This is achieved with a simple Report Text tool.

JFurda
8 - Asteroid

I have added a report text tool to my workflow and a browse after it. It works as expected when running it from Designer (in Analytic App mode) but when I run it on the server, I get the message: "This workflow produced no output." and that's all. I have the Browse selected to display on success. but it isn't showing me anything when run from the server. Would I need to add a Render Tool to generate an item to display? 

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yes, you need to have an output of some sort (output data or render) for it to display on the Gallery. This will also need to be an actual file, not a temporary file (specifically for the Render tool's options).

JFurda
8 - Asteroid

Is there any way of showing the result of a workflow (from the server) that only produces output in a Browse tool? Creating a written file seems grossly inefficient to communicate a single line of information. 

ex: My flow pulls in data from an Excel spreadsheet and searches for a user inputted name. The output is a piece of info about that name. Essentially it is a very basic workflow to save the time of opening a massive spreadsheet and filtering for a particular name. It works wonderfully in Designer. I'm not the only one who would be using the workflow, so I want it to work on the server.  

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

If I understood correct, using an Output Tool, making it save a %temp%Output.yxdb file, should give you this output:

aguisande_0-1617125264201.png

Brian_P
6 - Meteoroid

If anyone has an example with the output tool, render combination to display specific information after the file runs instead of the default "This Workflow produced no Output" could you please share an example?  I've tried a couple combinations and no luck.

Labels