Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Workflow on Server successful, but no updated output written out to Alteryx DB

harvjul
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow that queries an SQL table and writes the output to an Alteryx Database on a network location.  The network is fully qualified UNC path, not a mapped location. 

When I publish the same workflow to the server and run, the workflow runs successfully with no errors and shows that data was output. 

However, there is no updated data in the Alteryx Database.  Same thing happens when I schedule the workflow, runs successfully, but data is not updated.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

9 REPLIES 9
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @harvjul ,

the first thing I would check is whether there SHOULD be data going out. It looks like there is no data to output, and that would cause it to finish without errors. If your path was not correctly input or was unreachable it would error.

Check if the data that is being picked up when running on the server would result in a valid output. 

Also, by "Alteryx Database" I assume you mean a .yxdb file? Is it being created with no records or does it simply not exist?

M.

Bulien

harvjul
8 - Asteroid

There should be data output every day.  It is the deliveries, so there would be the previous deliveries plus the deliveries that were loaded into our Datalake last night.  The file size should increase.

The file does exist, because I ran it manually.  But the file should increase every day and be updated with new deliveries.  It doesn't.  It remains the same size as the last time I ran it manually.

I have the exact same workflow written in the exact same way for tracking numbers.  It updates every day successfully from the schedule on the server.  

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Ok,

without seeing it I can't help, I'm afraid.

If it works when you run it manually, but doesn't when you run it on the server it must be unable to find a source.

I can't see the workflow so it's difficult to say anything else. If you could provide any information it would be helpful.

M.

Bulien

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @harvjul 

Open the copy from the gallery in Designer and check the path in the output tool.  Your network path might have been replaced with something like "_externals\1\output.yxdb".  If this is the case, the file that gets updated is the one in the Alteryx server staging directory and not the one in your original output path.  To fix this, use the workflow with the correct path.  Save to the gallery.  On the Save to Gallery page, click on the Manage Workflow Assets link.  On the resulting window, uncheck your output file if it is checked.  This should stop the gallery from changing the path to _externals\xxx

Dan

harvjul
8 - Asteroid

The output path showed the file name only.  The path is fully written in the workflow and also when you check the dependencies.

I did the famous "copy and paste everything to a new workflow" fix.  Now everything runs from the server when manually kicked off.  I'm scheduling it tonight to check that.

How often does this happen to others where a workflow has issues and you have to copy and paste?  It happens too often for me.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Not for a long time.

What version are you running?

If you're not on 2021.2 I would suggest upgrading, but be sure to upgrade your server first.

M.

Bulien

harvjul
8 - Asteroid

I'm always on the latest version, as I don't have to wait for IT to upgrade.  Our server is never up to the latest, so I keep a non-admin installed at a lower version at all times.

davidhe
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi there, ever get resolution? 

abhinavsoni
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @davidhe , No.  I have a workflow which works fine in the Designer x64 but when uploaded to the server, it is not creating or updating the files it is supposed to.  Please help

Labels