Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Workflow lookup table or cache

mutuelinvestor
8 - Asteroid

I'm trying to optimize performance for one of my workflows.   I've noticed in the workflow that I query my database (Azure SQL Database)  numerous times for the same dataset for use in foreign key constraints for tables that are being created by the workflow of interest.   I'm confident that I could enhance the speed/performance of the workflow if there were a way to do the query once and then access the data from within the workflow via a lookup table or cache.   Has anyone come across a similar situation and if so, how did (what tool or macro) handle it. 

I read last night that the text input tool can be used as a look-up repository, but that tool requries manual entry and I need something a bit more dynamic.   

I appreciate any ideas, thoughts and experiences that anyone is willing to share. 

4 REPLIES 4
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

If I understand correctly, could you create an input tool querying a less filtered dataset and then just join with filters each place you use. That way would only be in memory once.

If you know the data is static the Input tool also has the option to cache so each re-run of the workflow is from a local cache.

Think the CReW macros have some stuff on caching but havent used in anger myself. (have used both of the above tricks in production flows)

mutuelinvestor
8 - Asteroid

Fireball,

Thanks for the reply.  So your saying do the query once and then use a join tool as a means of distributing the data throughout workflow.  Yes, with the wireless connections, that could workout quite nicely.  I will give it a try.   

Thanks,

Jim

MichelSza
7 - Meteor

Hi,

you can store the data on the collection using thr cache macro and use these cached data for subsequent reads.

the following thread explains it very well: http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/The-Cache-Dataset-Macro/ba-p/3162

another way is to copy paste the content of the browse tool into a text input tool.

Hope it helps

MacRo
Alteryx
Alteryx

+1 for the Cache Dataset macro suggestion -- this is exactly what it was meant for!

Labels