Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Workflow help

Bbadef
8 - Asteroid

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Alteryx and I am currently working on a project but have some problem with count.If any one can give me some advises,I will be appreciated it.

What I  want to to do is:

Get the record meet the criteria ,and then count(How many record there), if not equal to 0,then I want  to see all these record and then do extra work with them.

The question I have is

1.which method should be better? Formula or filter

2.How can I see all records which match the criteria after count or summarize

The only thing I am doing so far is just put a formula: Add a column:If Contains([region],"NA") and Contains([cly], "Y") then 1 else 0 Endif 

12 REPLIES 12
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Bbadef 

Can you provide some sample input and expected output it will help us get a better understanding of the usecase.

drew9
9 - Comet

Hi @Bbadef ,

1. Filter would be best here. You can add in the logic from your formula into your filter. 

2. You can add a summarize tool after the True Output Anchor of your filter which would give you the count of records that meet your criteria. Then you can make another connection off the True Output Anchor and do additional work with the specified records.

Hope this helps.

Bbadef
8 - Asteroid

Hi,I have attach the sample data and also the workflow I built.

The thing I want to do for this project:

1.Read this file but the file name will change by day like(xxx_Oct13) and (xxx_Oct14)-The first 4 step

2.Read the sheet (AVBVC)to see if there is a record ([A] contain a and [H] contain Y) ,which is what I need ,else, nothing I need to do

3.If there is,I want to know what they are and make a comment(formula) base on some data on sheet2 (It will also change by date but follow a pattern) 

Hope that will be helpful for you

Thank you

Bbadef
8 - Asteroid

Hi,@atcodedog05 

I have attach the sample data and also the workflow I built.

The thing I want to do for this project:

1.Read this file but the file name will change by day like(xxx_Oct13) and (xxx_Oct14)-The first 4 step

2.Read the sheet (AVBVC)to see if there is a record ([A] contain a and [H] contain Y) ,which is what I need ,else, nothing I need to do

3.If there is,I want to know what they are and make a comment(formula) base on some data on sheet2 (It will also change by date but follow a pattern) 

Hope that will be helpful for you

Thank you

drew9
9 - Comet

Hi @Bbadef ,

I've created a solution that will read in the file based on today's date using dynamic inputs. I believe the attached solution covers everything you asked, let me know if I missed anything.

drew9_0-1634149660918.png

Bbadef
8 - Asteroid

Hi,Thank you so so much for your help.

But,I still have a question with that.  Sometime the day won't be today so I use* for the part keep changing.

sheet 1 I can easily connect it

sheet2 name is "Apple_Rate_History_10132021_1123" which is almost the same with the file name except the last 4 dight.

Full path=[Full path]+"|||Apple_Rate_History*$"

but there is an error in dynamic input:'Apple_Rate_History*$" is not a valid name.

drew9
9 - Comet

Using wildcards is only supported for file names, not sheet names. You will need two dynamic inputs, one to bring in the list of sheet names and the other to bring in data from the desired sheet. I've attached an example. Let me know if this will work for you!

Bbadef
8 - Asteroid

Hi drew, sorry for bothering you.

But for some reason I can't open the package.if I can get a screenshot with some detail,I will be really appreciated!!!

Thank you

drew9
9 - Comet

Sure! 

drew9_1-1634157110167.png

drew9_2-1634157155537.png

drew9_3-1634157181870.png

Labels