Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Workflow fails after first invalid email via Email Tool

ELPC
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, 
I am using the Email tool to send an email to 2000+ employees within my company.  As you can imagine, it is very difficult to figure out if all 2000+ employees are still with the company at any given time.  I have found that the Email tool will email the employees that are active until it hits the first invalid email address and then the entire workflow fails. Is there a way to just let the workflow skip any invalid email addresses and continue processing the rest of them.  

For example:  In this example, the first 2 email addresses will get an email but then the workflow will just fail when it hits the 3rd email address which is invalid.  Is there a way to just skip email 3 and have the workflow continue to email addresses 4 and 5?  

Email 1 - valid 

Email 2 - valid 

Email 3 - invalid

Email 4 - valid

Email 5 - valid

Thanks for any help!  

4 REPLIES 4
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @ELPC 

This is a common issue we face with email tool. How you can tackle is by using batch macro to send emails. What batch macro does is it sends a single email at a time and even if an email fails it will go to next email.

Workflow: batch by record id I,e each row

atcodedog05_0-1641631282036.png

Macro: create macro to send a single email at a time.

atcodedog05_1-1641631315012.png

Learn more about creating batch macro: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Creating-a-Batch-Macro/ta-p/657923

Hope this helps : )

ELPC
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much for the response, I will try this method.  Is there a way to know which emails failed after running the batch macro?  Thank you. 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @ELPC 

You will get the row numbers which failed based on that you can check for emails which failed.

Happy to help : )

Cheers and have a nice day!

PinuRabbit
5 - Atom

Hi @ELPC,

I wonder if you tried the Iterative Macro or a Batch Macro to solve your issue successfully? I have exactly the same issue and I tried both. Both of them still email the recipients that are valid until it hits the first invalid email address and then the workflow stops. Just like the question what you posted.

Since this article was posted long time ago. I'm now using the version 2022.1. I'm not sure if the way of Iterative Macro or Batch Macro no longer works for this issue in version 2022.1?

Thank you in advance

Labels