Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Workflow Simple Calculation

whitesummer
7 - Meteor

Hi Everyone,

I have an urgent matter.  Below are my steps in excel:

1. When I filter for "Payables" under JE Source (Column F, tab 1.NJ GL), the sum of " Accounted Amount" (Col D, tab 1. NJ GL) is 225,174

2. I added 3 more columns toward the end called " Taxable", "Charges Tax", and " Status" and have formulas written in excel.

3. However, when I took those steps to the workflow, the numbers don't tie.  The sum of all the payables 225,174 doesn't tie to the join output:  The sum of what's on the left output is right: 29,813.83 but the join output is 227,638.84 (wrong, should be: 195,360.31 because on excel when you filter for "payables" and taxables -column X - unchecked "X") which totals to 257,452.67).  Please help!!!! 

6 REPLIES 6
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi @whitesummer 

Your join is creating some duplicates of the records in the left input. Compare the unique tool at the top of the screen with the one at the bottom. In the lower unique tool I haven't included the fields that were added in the join so these are genuine duplicates.

Screenshot 2019-05-07 at 19.00.40.png

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Taking it a step further you can see that if you remove the duplicates you end up with the correct total.

Screenshot 2019-05-07 at 19.03.19.png

whitesummer
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much for replying jamielaird.  Would it be possible for you send me the workflow or just the screenshot of what's in unique fields to check. I'm just the beginner. I still can't figure out....

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Yes of course. Here you go. You'll just need to configure the two Input tools to point to your original files.

whitesummer
7 - Meteor

Omg, you're the best! I really appreciate it!!! I took me forever to figure this out. Thank you so much.

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

giphy.gif

Labels