Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Workflow Results to be Attached as Excel Doc and Scheduled Weekly through Outlook

MysticalAz
8 - Asteroid

Hello!

I'm looking to take the results of my workflow and do the following:

1) Save it as an excel document in a path I provide

2) Take that excel file and attach it to an Outlook email to send to 1 user 

3) Schedule this to occur on the 1st of the Month

Currently, my data is connected through a SQL database. After I do the analysis within Alteryx, I'd like the results to be sent to a user, monthly. Any idea how I can do this?

I've looked into the Email tool but not sure what SMTP to use. I used my company one and use the general outlook one with no luck. Also, how would I schedule this to happen monthly? I don't see a schedule option within the Email tool. 

I'm VERY new to Alteryx so if you can attach a workflow with your suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance! 

UPDATE: It seems like I have to figure out my SMTP server settings. I was able to test it out with GMAIL and it worked. I guess I just need to figure out how to save it as an email attachment and send out once a month.

2 REPLIES 2
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

HI @MysticalAz,

#1 is easy as it is just setting the Output Data tool to the correct location as an .xlsx file.  If you haven't already gone through the Interactive Lessons, I would recommend starting there (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons)

#2 - Does it need to be an attached Excel file or is just the data what is needed?  If just the data, you can create a table using the Table tool and put in the body of the email.  If it needs to be an actual attachment, you will need to create the Excel file, then attach it to the email.  You will need two linked workflow to make this work, either through a chained app, a linked workflow or the Runner tool.  A good article on these options is here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Chaining-Workflows-Together/ta-p/3857...

#3  Scheduling workflows requires either an Alteryx Desktop Automation (scheduler) license or on an Alteryx Server.  

MysticalAz
8 - Asteroid

Hi @T_Willins!

Thanks for your suggestion. I found something that worked for me:

Input Tool to input data from SQL query > Output tool to write to a path via excel (set to overwrite file) > Link Input Tool with Sample tool too to select first N rows where N = 1 > Link Email tool after Sample tool with email information. This generated 1 email. The number of rows in my file were ~5k so creating a table would clutter the body of the email. 

I did know about #3.....We recently got the Designer license and thought scheduler came with it. Thanks for the info!

Mes4001_0-1638240672032.png

Labels