Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Workflow Help!

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone!

I have attached some sample output data that depicts how my data currently looks. What my workflow does is take the input data and only shows the number of software that pertains to the user with the highest. So in my real data, one user has 12 software but another user only has one, so Title2 - 12 are null for that user as well as the "Why do you want to keep  (Title2 - Title 12)". What I want to do is create a macro that outputs all the users with a value in Title1 to a separate output and only displays "why do you want to keep Title1" rather than all those questions going up to Title12, and so on for Title2, and Title3, all the way up to Title12. So I would like twelve outputs. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

to do that, you could use a dynamic select with a formula like contains([name], 'Title 1') and have multiple outputs.

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

@LadarthureThanks for your solution! Do you mind sharing a workflow of how this can be achieved? 

Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Here is a sample workflow

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

@LadarthureThanks! Do you know if there is an easier solution than this? In my real dataset, I have 24 titles so it's a little tedious.

Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

You could use an iterative macro, it should do the job to, but I'm not expert on macro development, so maybe someone else could help you about that. 

danrh
13 - Pulsar

I'm not positive on the requirements, but the attached does something similar to what you're describing. It takes your file and creates separate excel files for each software. I had to play with the format a little to make it dynamic, so you'll have to take a look. To make it work for more/fewer titles, just select them in the Transpose tools (the title in the top and the question in the bottom tool). The Output tool then handles separating them into different files, putting them in the same folder where the workflow resides.

Note that this is just if by "output" you mean actual files --- if you want 12 separate data streams that you can then manipulate within Alteryx, you're probably best off using an approach similar to what @Ladarthure suggested.  If this doesn't meet requirements, could you maybe post a sample output and describe a little more?

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

@danrhThanks for your solution! This is pretty close to what I want, but for the output, instead of having eight records displayed, I only require two. One for why the user wants to keep Title1 and one for why the user wants to keep Title2. 

danrh
13 - Pulsar

Try out the attached, see if it's closer.

Labels