Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Workflow Error

am_cook
5 - Atom

Hello,

I'm building a report based on a workflow that I've created. However, I've run into an issue as some data entries in one of my data fields has NAs in it. As I've selected this data field to be 'Double' type, it is now coming up with the below error message.

Please could someone advise on how to resolve this error message?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @am_cook,

That's a data type conversion warning message and not an error, it wouldn't have any impact on your workflow. It's simply saying "I can't convert to a numeric data type (because i'm N/A)" so it should convert to NULL. You can then convert those NULL values to 0's (using data cleansing tool for example or just leave as NULL.

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Regards,

Jonathan 

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

You are trying to convert a string to a double and Alteryx is complaining. The easiest solution (to avoid this warning) is use a Data Cleanse Tool and select to remove letters.

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@am_cook,

As Na is a String value my suggestion is to use filter in order to do the conversion:

messi007_0-1606406150041.png

Attached the workflow,

Regards

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Just a note for @messi007 and @am_cook,

I wouldn't take the approach of filtering out N/A values, changing the data type for only numbers and combining back together because when you combine back into one column (in this case with a union) you can only have one data type, and since you have numeric and string values in the same field it will revert to a string data type (as it can hold numeric and strings whilst a numeric cannot hold both numeric and string values). This is the exact same data type you had to start with.

You can see this with your workflow @messi007, if I add a select tool after your union the field is still a string so the values are the same as before.

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1606408628213.png

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Jonathan

Labels