Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Workflow Dependencies - I need to change the file path for EVERY workflow

rmwillis1973
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

My IT Dept has decided it needs a bigger server space, so is moving all of the files my team uses from the P Drive to the V Drive (which is a newer, bigger server).

It requires me to change the file path of all inputs and all outputs.

They all start        P:\Analytics and Insight

It is likely that the path will become          V:\Analytics and Insight

I plan to use the Workflow Dependencies Tool, but is there a method to automate this as we have in excess of 250 workflows used across my team alone, which I've estimated will take upwards of 3 days to update?  This is something i cannot really justify doing.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @rmwillis1973 ,

There is a way. You can create a workflow that opens all the workflows and edits the file path with a regex_replace command on a formula tool.

I have performed this task many times and has worked perfectly.

Regards

Dynamomo
11 - Bolide

@rmwillis1973 

You could use the workflow dependencies....but if I was in your shoes (which I have been before), I would actually edit the raw yxmd files and do a find replace to replace the values.  Yxmd files can be opened in a text editor and if you look at one, you will see files paths embedded there.

To do this I'd:

1 - create a workflow that opens one yxmd workflow (open it as a csv format, with no delimiter and where the first row contains data).  Also be sure to Output filename as a field.  Use a formula tool to replace in Field1  "P:\Analytics and Insight" with "V:\Analytics and Insight".  Do the same replace function in the Filename field.  Output to csv format, no delimiter, no fieldnames and use the filename field to output to (Take Filename from Field -> Change entire Filepath)

2 - Now create a batch macro for that workflow where a control parameter updates the filename on the input file

3 - create a workflow using a directory tool, point to where all of the workflows are held, click on the option to include subdirectories and this process should rename all of the files in the workflows to the new path.

I'm hopping on a flight but if you need some sample workflows, let me know and I'll include.

rmwillis1973
8 - Asteroid

Brilliant - is there a way to share this workflow with me please, as I'm not altogether sure how to do it.  Alternatively I'd be happy to come on a skype / webex with you to go through the steps.

Thanks!!

Richard

rmwillis1973
8 - Asteroid

Yes, please can you create a sample workflow.

I managed to get as far as changing the file path, create a CSV (although it won't save it.  It says :The system cannot find the path specified.)

I did the part Take Filename from Field -> Change entire Filepath.

The next bits I will need help on.

Dynamomo
11 - Bolide

@rmwillis1973 

Here is a workflow that opens a workflow as a data input, changes the path and then saves back as a workflow but in CSV format with no delimiter and with no fieldnames.  I am changing the filepaths in my workflow to point to c:\temp2 from c:\temp

Piyitong
5 - Atom

I really want to see the details of the workflow but I cannot open it because my Alteryx version is older than yours. My version is 2018.4.5. I don't know whether you could share me a workflow with my version or give me some instructions how to download it by selecting my version. 

Thanks so much!

Labels