Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Windows Security Updates are Blocking Excel

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

Security Updates KB4524135 and KB4524157 are blocking exporting in Alteryx to excel.  Is there a hot fix?

Error: Output Data (8): The 2017-10-10 Windows security patch prevents the Jet driver from reading .xls files; install the 2010 32-bit Access driver

11 REPLIES 11
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx
kurtwz
8 - Asteroid

The simplest solution I've found to this problem involves changing the exact way you tell Alteryx to connect to the file.  When I would try to paste the path of the file into the Input Data tool in the Connect a File or Database box, I would get this error. 

Instead do this:

1. Click the Input Data dropdown,

2020-03-11_17-25-21.png

2. On the Data connections window, select Files on the left side

2020-03-11_17-30-17.png

3. Drag and drop the file to the Select a File space. 

2020-03-11_17-31-20.png

After you release it to that space, you should see the Data connections disappear and the Select Excel Input window appear.  If it does, you're good to go. Somehow Alteryx Designer doesn't like the path paste method, but luckily there was an easy workaround for me.  Hope it works for you too!

8 - Asteroid

My IT dept installed some patches over the weekend, and lo and behold, my workflow that imports XLS files is completely broken now. I used to get that warning around the 'list of sheet names' option, but now my access to XLS files is 100% blocked.

I just tried your suggestion but unfortunately it doesn't work - I still get the lovely message below. So now I'm looking into converting all my XLS files into XLSX before input.

Error: Input Data (18): The 2017-10-10 Windows security patch prevents the Jet driver from reading .xls files; install the 2010 32-bit Access driver

8 - Asteroid

I've bumped this question as I'm hoping to start a discussion on working with .xls files.

I've spent basically all of today trying to find a work around for my Alteryx's recent inability to do anything with .xls. 

With my current project, my goal for the short-to-mid term is to host an app on the gallery, an end user will run it, select the data needed, and it will update a database. Unfortunately that doesn't seem very future-proof since our network monitoring tool only spits out .xls files. Then IT will install another security patch and you can see where I'm going...

So far today I've tried:

Driver install - no admin access

PowerShell - no admin access

VBS Script - no admin access

So far this is the only solution I've found:

https://superuser.com/questions/524119/batch-convert-xls-to-xlsx

Baradomas
5 - Atom

Worked easily! Thanks @kurtwz

Kardasz
5 - Atom

So, I have to pay a yearly fee for this fix?

kurtwz
8 - Asteroid

No, you don't. Not sure why you thought that, but the fix is without any cost whatsoever.

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@kurtwz wrote:

The simplest solution I've found to this problem involves changing the exact way you tell Alteryx to connect to the file.  When I would try to paste the path of the file into the Input Data tool in the Connect a File or Database box, I would get this error. 

Instead do this:

1. Click the Input Data dropdown,

2020-03-11_17-25-21.png

2. On the Data connections window, select Files on the left side

2020-03-11_17-30-17.png

3. Drag and drop the file to the Select a File space. 

2020-03-11_17-31-20.png

After you release it to that space, you should see the Data connections disappear and the Select Excel Input window appear.  If it does, you're good to go. Somehow Alteryx Designer doesn't like the path paste method, but luckily there was an easy workaround for me.  Hope it works for you too!

The paste of the path method is likely to not be working due to when you paste the path there is no sheet information in the path?

The image of your error isn't displaying so I have to say this is a guess.

With regards to needing to change files to XLSX @271828.

If you install the driver in my link this should fix the issue. IT will be able to install it. When they patch the server that shouldn't reverse the installation of the driver, so should only be a one off task for your IT that then no longer impacts xls when the server has future patches. - I appreciate I am a little late in replying though!

And in reply to @Kardasz - I don't know what you mean by a yearly cost? The driver is free from Microsoft and should be a 1 off install for IT (maybe you referring to the internal IT cost?)

8 - Asteroid

I had IT [re]install that Access driver several months ago and have had no issues processing XLS files since. So you're right, it was a one-off for IT.

Labels