Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Wildcard suddenly stops working (Excel files)

Alter_X
5 - Atom

Hi,

hope everybody is well! I see many threads about the wildcard but I couldn't find any matching my case (correct me if I'm wrong):

We developed an Alteryx flow and used the wildcard to simultaneously read in several inputs. This worked perfectly until one day it suddenly did not.

The files have exactly the same columns (+ headers) etc. We even restored the old files where it was working the week before but now it's somehow broken.

Has anybody else made the same experience? We are not looking for solutions with macros or anything like that. The preferred solution is that the wildcard works as before.

Example:

Files:

Test_1

Test_2

Path:

....\Folder\Test*.xlsx

Thank you very much in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Alter_X 

Would you be able to provide a screenshot of the logs when you run the workflow or copy the warning message you see on the input tool? It is likely that the error that is occurring and the reason for it, are contained in here.

We can then help to troubleshoot the issue!

Thanks

Will

Alter_X
5 - Atom

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry but I am very cautious as this is highly sensitive data and I don't even want to share the warning messages.

However, I can tell you that the warning message for the input says that the second input has a different schema than the first file in the set and therefore it will be skipped.

I am a bit surprised. But what exactly is meant by schema? How can I narrow it down?

Hope you can work with that little information I provided.

Thank you!

wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Alter_X 

No problem, the message is enough to help here. 

The difference in schema can relate to a couple of matters;

- Difference in Columns between files

- Difference in Data Types between files

If you want to bring both input files in as normal inputs, you would be able to then look at the metadata (Using a Select Tool is probably easiest) and compare the 2 files to see what the difference between the files is.

Let me know if that helps

Kind Regards,

Will

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Alter_X,

@wdavis provided you with accurate answer. I bet that you got additional column in a new file!

wdavis
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Alter_X 

If this is the case and the schemas are going to be different, this article provides details on how to create batch macros (as well as other ways to input data) which can help get you started - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/The-Ultimate-Input-Data-Flowchart/t... 

Kind Regards,

Will

Alter_X
5 - Atom

Thank you very much!

it is a difference in data types. Now I have to find out why the data types suddenly differ but from the Alteryx side I am covered!

And I learnt to pay more attention to the warning messages 🙂

Very helpful & much appreciated!

Labels