Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Why is R code that works fine in R not working in Alteryx

seungp
5 - Atom

Why is R code that works in R not working in Alteryx R?? 

I am copying my code from R that I've written using for loop to R in Alteryx and it's giving me an error. 

I am not using any packages, but I am using for loop to make calculations to replace rows with Nulls using data in data frame. The code works fine in R and I get all the calculations I need, and when I copy the code over to R in Alteryx, it's giving me an error. 

Sample code:

for (i in 2:nrow(test)) {
test$new[i] = (test$new[i-1] * (1 + test$growth[i-1]))
}

Error message:

Error in test$new[i] = (test$new[i-1] * (1 + test$growth[i-1]))

replacement has length zero

If I can't just copy over the code from R, what's the benefit of having R in Alteryx?

3 REPLIES 3
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @seungp 

How are you passing in test to the R tool?  Can you attach a sample workflow?

Dan

seungp
5 - Atom

So I have data imported as an input from database structured like

datenewgrowth
2021/02/0110000.01
2021/02/02NA0.01
2021/02/03NA0.02
2021/02/04NA0.02

This is just sample data, but I have a dates column, new column that has value for only the first row, and growth column that can have different growth for different dates.

I am querying this data frame from my database and calling it a test in Alteryx. 

The goal I'm trying to achieve using R in Alteryx is filling out NAs in new column with calculation shown in my previous post. 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @seungp 

Here's a workflow that works using the R tool

danilang_0-1620300526602.png

Here's the code in that's in the R tool

test = read.Alteryx("#1", mode="data.frame") #Read data from Alteryx

for (i in 2:nrow(test)) {
  test$new[i] = (test$new[i-1] * (1 + test$growth[i-1]))
}

write.Alteryx(test, 1)  #Write results back to alteryx

As you can see once you add in the function calls to read in the data as a dataframe and write the results back out, the code works correctly. 

One thing to note is that the read.Alteryx() returns a typed dataframe, so the [new] column is a string and your code as written can't perform the math operations on string fields.  I deleted the NA in the input data and forced the datatype to double.

The Multi-Row tool is there just to show how to perform the same operation in native Alteryx.  There's a small overhead to invoking the R runtime .  If your data set is small, the overall workflow will run faster if you can perform the task using native Alteryx tools

Dan 

Labels