Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Why does my Unique Tool get reset/blanked out? I have to re-run my workflow to even use it

hydrogurl01
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

For some reason in one of my containers, I have 2 Unique tools. Both for some reason get reset when I open the workflow up or haven't touched it in a while on my screen and essentially forces me to re-run the workflow to get a view of what fields I can do a Unique on. I get an error when running the workflow saying 'At Least One Unique Field Must be Selected' and then when clicking into the tool I get a blank screen with no fields to pick from until I re-run the workflow for it to pickup the fields right before that tool. What is the reason for this? Any way around it? Big time sucker to have to re-run the workflow so much just to re-select my necessary fields and again re-run the workflow.

9 REPLIES 9
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @hydrogurl01 

This one is a strange issue. I think you should drop a mail to support team support@alteryx.com they might be able to help you.

And once its resolved please do let us know how it got resolved so that its helpful for others.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@hydrogurl01 
Just maybe, can you check if you have checked the auto configure?

AutoConfiguure.png

hydrogurl01
8 - Asteroid

@Qiu 

That was it! I don't even recall checking that button - thank you! Is there a performance/optimization trade off by checking/unchecking that?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Thats amazing @Qiu 🙂

Learnt something new 😀

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@hydrogurl01 
Normally, I dont think we can even notice the trade off, unless you have a really huge one.
Thanks for the mark.

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @hydrogurl01 

In addition to @Qiu fantastic insight, have you considered using the Sample Tool instead of the Unique Tool?

IMHO, the Sample Tool might be more performant + might not present the inconvenience you've mentioned.

I hope it works out. Cheers!

PhaniV
8 - Asteroid

Disabling auto configuration doesn't fix the issue with unique tool, this is annoying bug in Alteryx

jc0528
5 - Atom

I think it is a bug the Alteryx team is too lazy to fix. Every time I open the Alteryx, the unique tool has no memory about what we have selected to be unique. You cannot click on the tool or else it will return an error. The only thing you can do is to run the workflow once so the unique tool gains the memory, and "remember" what field it has been selected to unique on. What a design, imagine the workflow taking 30 min + to run every time. What an annoying bug

PhaniV
8 - Asteroid

It is weird that I have uncheck the Disable Auto configuration for the Unique tool configuration to work. If you are experiencing this issue, try both options check and uncheck Disable Auto Configuration in Advanced User settings
disable.PNG

Labels