Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Why My Join Is Getting More Records than Expected

ivyqiu
5 - Atom

Hi, I've getting more records in the output than my input after using JOIN. I've checked the article https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Why-Your-Join-Is-Getting-More-Recor... but it doesn't help in my particular case. 

The input file has 2,523 records (see screenshot 1 below). The output after join has 2,549 records (LEFT 433 records in screenshot 2, plus JOIN 2,116 records in screenshot 3). There's no duplicate records. Why is that and how to fix it? Thanks!

1 - image.png

2 -  image.png

3 - image.png

3 REPLIES 3
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @ivyqiu ,

Are you removing duplicates before both joins? Both of then are removing duplicates the same way your keys are distributed in the join key fields?

If yes, please share your left and right input and your key fields please? You can remove everything from your datasets, only leave the keys, please.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

ivyqiu
5 - Atom

Hi Fernando,

Please see attached. Note that the Left and Join output doesn't equal to Left Input, but Right and Join output match the Right Input.

Thanks for your help.

Ivy

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @ivyqiu ,

The problem is in your right input. In order to remove duplicates from your join, you need to remove all ID duplication from this input.

fmvizcaino_0-1582239258410.png

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Labels