Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Which Would Be Simpler/Easier to Read From and Write To ? Sftp or Amazon S3?

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Hi guys,

So I've been tasked to read from an sftp, convert it to a certain format and then upload it back. I was told, getting it from the Amazon S3 server would also be an option. So, which would be easier? Would appreciate a few resources, though I will also be doing my own research. I was told just earlier today and I'm asked to give feedback by tomorrow. Between other things I'm trying to accomplish, I don't think I could delve deep enough to determine for sure.

Anything else I should know about?

Thank you.

Ron

6 REPLIES 6
oliverd
7 - Meteor

My understanding is that the SFTP protocol is depreciated.

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Hi @oliverd,

What do you mean depreciated, Sir?

oliverd
7 - Meteor

I mean it's no longer being supported by the developer.

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @RonGatmaitan 

The process to download from SFTP can be as simple as the download tool within Alteryx:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/File-Transfer-Protocol-FTP-Download...

This tool is not depreciated - i believe the tool @oliverd is discussing is built by a community user. You do not need to use community-built tools to download/upload from SFTP.

In my experience, Amazon S3 is incredibly easy. 
https://help.alteryx.com/20214/designer/amazon-s3

So in your shoes given the choice, i'd go with Amazon S3 for ease of use, but both are valid and possible.

Cheers,
TheOC

Bulien
oliverd
7 - Meteor

If SFTP hasn't in fact been depreciated then it would probably be the best choice since it's an open standard.

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for you replies, guys. @oliverd @TheOC Will definitely look into these.

Labels