Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Where can I get the Alteryx File Type icons used by Windows

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

Where can I find the Alteryx file type icons used by Windows for YXDB, YXMC, YXWG, YXMD, YXZP, etc.   

1) So I can switch file type icons used by Parallels and macOS Finder

2) So, I can use them in my Alteryx workflows so I can visually see my YXDB outputs.  I am visual and would prefer to use this than just another generic green icon with a space taking text label under it.  

5 REPLIES 5
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

They are in ico files in bin\RuntimeData\icons within the Alteryx install directory

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @hellyars 

They are stored here:

F:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\HtmlAssets\help.alteryx.com\AlteryxCurrent\en\images\

Heres an example

Bulien
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

I expect they are encoded somewhere difficult to extract from, but I managed to quickly generate the attached as an example by:

1. Taking a screenshot in File Explorer with icons set to large
  2. Cropping in clippingmagic.com

This is just the free preview size but may be good enough for your needs

Screenshot 2020-10-08 211420_preview_rev_3.png

Neil-HawaiianAir
7 - Meteor

Having the location for the ICO images is one thing, getting them associated is another.  I installed the non-admin version of Alteryx Designer and none of the icons were associated with Alteryx, which is unfortunate.  The only icon I can associate is the icon linked to the actual EXE Alteryx Program.  Windows 10 does not allow the user to change the icons like they have in the past, and if you use Alteryx Designer at a company, most company don't allow you to install third party software like FileTypesManager.  If anyone has some ideas, that would be great.

TerriLH
7 - Meteor

I agree. In the past, the YXWG icons were green, and the Alteryx app icons were blue. Now, I can only change the yxwg icons to "open" with the Alteryx GUI. Everything is now the same color.

Labels