Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

What would be the best way to merge this data for use in tableau

rmartori
8 - Asteroid

So hey if you also use a lot of tableau any advice in that regard would be great. 

There are 9 survey questions that they want a graphical representation of in Tableau they want it to look like this earlier example I made using a more rough excel file.

tableau.PNG

They gave me a new excel file that summarizes everything a bit more Multiple sheets that are mostly the same except for how many potential answers there are.
They all follow roughly the same format below.

SummaryCountPercentage
CoStar50.263158
Don’t Know/ None50.263158
IBM Tririga20.105263
Lease Accelerator30.157895
Others40.210526

again the only difference is the amount of answers some have 5 like above some have 3 some have 2 etc.

The only acception to the this is the first and second question

Question 1

SUMMARY BY SYSTEMCountPercentageTier
BlackLine10.052632 
Epicor10.052632Tier 3
Microsoft Dynamics30.052632Tier 2
Oracle EBS90.052632Tier 1
Oracle JD Edwards10.052632 
Oracle NetSuite30.052632Tier 2
Oracle Peoplesoft30.052632Tier 2
QuickBooks20.052632 
SAP (ECC)10.052632Tier 1
SAP (ERP Central Component)30.052632 
SAP (S4 Hana)10.052632Tier 1
Sage Intacct20.052632Tier 3
Survey doesn't let me select more than 1, I have seen SAP ECC, NetSuite and Sage Intacct pretty frequently in TMT Sector10.052632Tier 3
Taranga10.052632 
Workday50.052632Tier 3
Zuora RevPro10.052632

Question 2

SystemTierInvolvementCount
BlackLine Operated the system at one of my previous jobs1
EpicorTier 3Extracted data from the client’s system while working on one of the projects, Limited to occasional discussion or desktop trainings1
Microsoft DynamicsTier 2Assisted/ advised the client on system implications related to my project1
Microsoft DynamicsTier 2Limited to occasional discussion or desktop trainings2
None / I have already listed them allN/AExtracted data from the client’s system while working on one of the projects1
None / I have already listed them allN/ANone / I have already listed them all16
None / I have already listed them allN/ASupported the client in a system implementation engagement, Extracted data from the client’s system while working on a project1
Oracle EBSTier 1Extracted data from the client’s system while working on a project1
Oracle EBSTier 1Extracted data from the client’s system while working on a project, Assisted/ advised the client on system implications related to my project1
Oracle EBSTier 1Extracted data from the client’s system while working on a project, Limited to occasional discussion or desktop trainings1
Oracle EBSTier 1Extracted data from the client’s system while working on one of the projects1
Oracle EBSTier 1Limited to occasional discussion or desktop trainings1
Oracle EBSTier 1None / I have already listed them all1
Oracle EBSTier 1Operated the system at one of my previous jobs, Extracted data from the client’s system while working on a project1
Oracle EBSTier 1Supported the client in a system implementation engagement2
Oracle JD Edwards Assisted/ advised the client on system implications related to my project1
Oracle NetSuiteTier 2Limited to occasional discussion or desktop trainings2
Oracle NetSuiteTier 2Supported the client in a system implementation engagement, Extracted data from the client’s system while working on a project, Assisted/ advised the client on system implications related to my project1
Oracle PeoplesoftTier 2Extracted data from the client’s system while working on one of the projects, Limited to occasional discussion or desktop trainings1
Oracle PeoplesoftTier 2Limited to occasional discussion or desktop trainings1
Oracle PeoplesoftTier 2Operated the system at one of my previous jobs1
QuickBooks Extracted data from the client’s system while working on one of the projects1
QuickBooks Limited to occasional discussion or desktop trainings1
SAP (ECC)Tier 1Assisted/ advised the client on system implications related to my project1
SAP (ERP Central Component)Extracted data from the client’s system while working on a project1
SAP (ERP Central Component)Extracted data from the client’s system while working on one of the projects, Assisted/ advised the client on system implications related to my project1
SAP (ERP Central Component)Limited to occasional discussion or desktop trainings1
SAP (S4 Hana)Tier 1Extracted data from the client’s system while working on a project, Assisted/ advised the client on system implications related to my project1
Sage IntacctTier 3Supported the client in a system implementation engagement2
Survey doesn't let me select more than 1, I have seen SAP ECC, NetSuite and Sage Intacct pretty frequently in TMT SectorTier 3Supported the client in a system implementation engagement1
Taranga Supported the client in a system implementation engagement, Extracted data from the client’s system while working on one of the projects, Assisted/ advised the client on system implications related to my project1
WorkdayTier 3Extracted data from the client’s system while working on a project1
WorkdayTier 3Extracted data from the client’s system while working on one of the projects2
WorkdayTier 3Limited to occasional discussion or desktop trainings1
WorkdayTier 3Operated the system at one of my previous jobs, Extracted data from the client’s system while working on one of the projects1
Zuora RevPro Operated the system at one of my previous jobs1

So I am not sure what the best option would be to merge all of these together to make it easier for Tableau to use.

1 REPLY 1
MinaGO3
8 - Asteroid

I might need a bit more context to better help you but let me attempt to provide some help with a few assumptions.

1. With multiple files of the same structure you are going to want to use the union tool to combine them together. You may just want to put a select after every file has been input and before the union to ensure the column headers are the same. If column names are not exactly identical then they will not automatically stack on top of each other without further configuration of the union tool.

2. Add a formula tool with the logic that creates your RevPro, Other, Don't know/None category/field if needed. If instead you are now using system or system + tier, I would just make sure to instead use the formula tool to clean these up if needed.

I would put this data into Tableau at this stage without any aggregation in Alteryx. Tableau has the ability to aggregate and you limit yourself and your analysis if you do this in Alteryx.

Let me know if I have understood your problem correctly, if not are you able to attach the rudimentary excel creating the first Tableau chart as it may help me better understand the problem?

Labels