Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

What is a Blob Data type

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I was just looking through the Alteryx data type docs and couldn't find a section on Blob's Data Types | Alteryx Help. From definitions online its a 'Binary large object'. What are the advantages/limitations of using this data type?

IraWatt_0-1654596239374.png

Thanks in advance for any information on this.

5 REPLIES 5
rohit782192
11 - Bolide

BLOB is Binary Large Objects. It contains Image which come from your application and get save in Database. 

For Eg : If you upload a photograph in your school or college form it will get save in your Database as Blob format.

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

I have used in Database comparison from Oracle 11g to Oracle 12c

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thanks @rohit782192, do you know if it compress the image in any way?

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

I do not believe it does any compression. I am under the impression that is is a direct translation of the source into binary for storage in a database.

You dont have to use just pictures either. Blobs can be audio, video, or other forms of media. You can use it for other file types as well depending on your use case. I use blob input and output to move excel templates for use in gallery workflows where I need pre-formatted excel files.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thanks @SPetrie and @rohit782192  ! 

Labels