Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

What file type do you use to export large data set from Alteryx to PowerBI?

vball
7 - Meteor

I am currently using Excel but Excel does not like huge datasets (over 250K rows) and has error message. (The error message does not seem to cause the data to be inaccurate. It is just annoying.)

I also tried csv and json but both file types have numerous error messages in Alteryx, which seems to be because the dataset I have include a lot of string characters like comma. Therefore, Excel is better than those two.

Is there another file type you'd recommend?

I don't plan to use the PowerBI Rest API as the documentation on it said it has a lot of limitations like maximum rows and performance time. 

Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12
gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

Have you tried the SQLite file option?

This should work for your use case.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @vball 

1) It is expected,  XLSX is a actually a compressed (zipped) file. - excel - *.csv Increase the file size - Stack Overflow

2)Take a look at your output and try to input it on pbi. If you have any error, you can try to use the data cleansing tool. Here some explanation about why Solved: Warning message: Newlines detected - Alteryx Community

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1665451815524.png

3)If you set the encoding of your output to UTF-8 and configure the input of your pbi to UTF-8, i would not expect problems. 

Felipe_Ribeir0_1-1665452112225.png

vball
7 - Meteor

@gautiergodard Thank you but that would not work for us as other users will need to consume the data in Microsoft Office in addition to the need to upload to Power BI. Sorry, I should have made my request clearer.

Labels