Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

What can I do to get rid of the massive lag while dragging/designing in my workflow?

john_watkins
11 - Bolide

I have written a fairly lengthy workflow at this point, and it seems to keep getting slower and slower when I try to reposition something or add a new tool.   There is now a 20+ second lag from my dragging a tool to the pallet vs. when the screen responds, allowing me to adjust properties etc.    Are there any settings that can reduce this lag?

My PC has 32G of RAM, which has been more than enough for all previous work.  What am I doing wrong here because this is very frustrating with all the wait time?

6 REPLIES 6
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

HI @john_watkins .

1) Which tools are you using? Customized connectors, python components, too many macros? How many tools?
2) Have you tried to copy your workflow to a new Alteryx tab and save it?

Could you provide the workflow or a print of it?

With this type of machine, this is very uncommon.

dana_mcdonough
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @john_watkins : try Disabling Auto Configure from within your User Settings:

dana_mcdonough_0-1664378702760.png

Also take a look at this list of Workflow Optimization options that might help improve your workflow performance as well.

Hope this helps!

Dana

john_watkins
11 - Bolide

Things got very busy with Alteryx loads over the last quarter.  Sorry for not checking back earlier. @dana_mcdonough I will certainly try the fix you mentioned above on auto-configure.   This could be the case as the workflow connects to over 20 data connections across various databases.  

dana_mcdonough
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Great! Yes please test and mark my solution as "Accepted" if it helps. Keep me posted :)

Thank you,

Dana

john_watkins
11 - Bolide

Dana - It did seem to speed up the drag-n-drop while doing things with in-database.   The issue was when I drag a new tool to the screen it doesn't know anything about the data or stream contained within.  I may be doing something wrong.  I know there was something about manually refreshing things, but I didn't see how to do it.

JamieHankins
7 - Meteor

This is my biggest problem with Alteryx.

I can understand if I'm adjusting something in a chain of tools, and Alteryx needs to recalculate all the information about what fields are being passed to where (/similar) but it's strange that there's a delay if I'm adding a blank tool without creating any connections, or even if I'm copying empty containers and such.

As advised above, turning off the autocalc helps, but that comes with its own disadvantages. 

Labels