Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Weird excel headers output

AlexCela
7 - Meteor

Hi all, 

I am currently having a weird issue regarding building a weekly excel report via alteryx (which did not exist last week) 

Basically when outputting my data to excel, a lot of headers, starting from a precise fields, get printed correctly (the same title name in Alteryx and in Excel) but when clicking on the headers cell, the value is the same header but truncated or abbreviated, changing therefore the value of the headers in excel and making it impossible to update a weekly pivot table based on these headers... And oddly enough, among all these weird headers, one is working good, the "No DSM Qty" 

Here is some pictures

chelou titres excel.PNGmoins chelou titres.PNG

This is very weird haha. If you have any insights, it would be awesome thanks 🙂 

Cheers 
Alex

12 REPLIES 12
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@AlexCela Have you tried using the reporting tools, specifically the table tool? It will help you set proper formatting for the dataset. You can use the render tool to write back out to a excel file. 

You can right click -> Open example on the table tool if you need help getting started!

Digan
Alteryx
AlexCela
7 - Meteor

Thanks @DiganP , I will try if the problem persists 🙂 

Also, just to add more ideas about this issues, actually my headers are not truncated, but the words are separated in more words by an alter + enter. See attached photo weird alt + enter.PNG

Any new ideas to why that maybe? 🙂

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@AlexCela Do you have an example file/workflow that does this? I would love to take a look at it.

Digan
Alteryx
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @AlexCela 

How is your data coming in to your workflow?  Are the line breaks in the column headers (Alt-Enter) in the input file/Query?  Are you building up the column names through a crosstab?

Dan   

AlexCela
7 - Meteor

@danilang actually you are right, it is the case, and even with an apostrophy. See attached screen shots. Don't know why it used to work then without issues the previous weeks haha
Apostrophe header.PNGalt enter header.PNG

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@AlexCela 

In that case you can use a formula or a Regex tool in Alteryx to replace the line breaks(\n, in regex) with spaces.

Dan

AlexCela
7 - Meteor

@danilang thanks a lot, I will try tomorrow, I ll keep you posted 🙂

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@AlexCela The formula tool function would be the replace function. You can also use the data cleansing function to do the same functionality.

If you just want to make changes to the header of the column, you can use the dynamic rename tool with the regex formula to make the change as well.

Digan
Alteryx
AlexCela
7 - Meteor

Hi @DiganP @danilang , so I tried with the data cleansing tool and also the dynamic rename to replace the '/n' with blanks with the regex tool, and it still doesnt work. The value inside the cell (which is printed corrected correctly) is still presenting line breaks. 

You can see the issue I think while looking at the column names inside alteryx when choosing with field to apply the formula to, it will only make appear 'Rpt' instead of the full name. 

Here attached is a sample data with just two headers and one of the little workflows that I tried to use. Would be awesome if you find the solution 🙂 Thanks again 

Alex

Labels