community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Weighted Average for Multiple columns

Asteroid

Hi there --- I need to calculate a weighted average from numerous columns into an individual result for each column. Here is an example of my data:

COURSEIDTermIDStudentsQ1Q2Q3Q4Q5
AAAA-4200XXXXX-X648124.504.504.504.504.50
AAAA-4200XXXXX-X66343.753.754.253.753.75
AAAA-4200 Weighted Average164.314.314.444.314.31

I originally had this grouped and averaged but when I compared it to the manually calculated data, I realized that Q1 - Q5 is a weighted average. While I realize there is a weighted average tool, it is definitely not doing what I want. I tried a couple of different things in the summarize tool but am not achieving the results that I need. I do realize that I will only have the final row left since I am going for a weighted average of row #1 and row #2.  Normally, in Excel, I would divide the result in each column by # of students and then combine for the weighted average but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do the same in Alteryx.

Any ideas would certainly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bolide

Hi @KAFord,

Not sure how "automated" you want this, but attached is a less manual solution. You will need to add any new columns to the summarize tool.

Hope this helps,

MSalvage

Asteroid

Thank you, @MSalvage, that matches my manual calculations perfectly! Thank you for the example and response!

Labels