community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Weighted Average for Multiple columns

Asteroid

Hi there --- I need to calculate a weighted average from numerous columns into an individual result for each column. Here is an example of my data:

COURSEIDTermIDStudentsQ1Q2Q3Q4Q5
AAAA-4200XXXXX-X648124.504.504.504.504.50
AAAA-4200XXXXX-X66343.753.754.253.753.75
AAAA-4200 Weighted Average164.314.314.444.314.31

I originally had this grouped and averaged but when I compared it to the manually calculated data, I realized that Q1 - Q5 is a weighted average. While I realize there is a weighted average tool, it is definitely not doing what I want. I tried a couple of different things in the summarize tool but am not achieving the results that I need. I do realize that I will only have the final row left since I am going for a weighted average of row #1 and row #2.  Normally, in Excel, I would divide the result in each column by # of students and then combine for the weighted average but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do the same in Alteryx.

Any ideas would certainly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bolide

Hi @KAFord,

Not sure how "automated" you want this, but attached is a less manual solution. You will need to add any new columns to the summarize tool.

Hope this helps,

MSalvage

Asteroid

Thank you, @MSalvage, that matches my manual calculations perfectly! Thank you for the example and response!

Labels