Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

We found a problem with some content when opening excel file (using Output)

crtakacs
8 - Asteroid

I've seen a few posts about this error message but nothing that I could use as a solution. 

I'm outputting to an excel sheet and specifying that cell range to output to. I'm not sure if it's worth noting that the range I specify in the workflow is much larger than the actual range as I don't ever have the exact same range each time I output. 

I've tried creating a completely new Excel file, and I've tried using both .xlsm and .xlsx. It always opens correctly the first time I run and open the worksheet (after creating a new file to use). And it looks just how I need it to look. But anytime I run again and open I get the error message. 

I've tried running from both Designer and from the gallery. 

Any ideas? 

crtakacs_0-1586449300757.png

crtakacs_1-1586449343687.png

16 REPLIES 16
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

When you specify the range, are you using the notation filename.xlsx|||Sheet1$A1:E100 or something like that? I assume you're not writing to a named range in Excel.

The number of columns is always known, right? So that can be exact, like in the example above, there are 5 columns A to E.

If you don't know how many rows of data you're writing, you can just omit the number after E so that it becomes filename.xlsx|||Sheet1$A1:E  - this will only create rows to the end of the dataset. Perhaps specifying a different cell range to the dataset you're writing is causing the error.

SSimunov1
5 - Atom

I have been having the exact same issue. None of the recommendations to fix it that I've come across have worked.

AnthonyChow
5 - Atom

Do you have any special character in your path, e.g. ' ? if yes, remove them.

AnnaQihua
5 - Atom
I have same issue. None of the recommendations to fix it.
CK_G
5 - Atom

Has a solution been found to this? I have the same issue and none of the suggestions on this thread or any similar threads work for me. 

rhubard
6 - Meteoroid

Same issue here. Has anyone found a solution? Thanks.

i0r003k
5 - Atom

I have had the same issue (without the named range- just outputting to a named worksheet) on multiple workflows for over a year now. Like everyone else, none of the suggested solutions I have found have worked.

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey, anyone who received this issue, are you able to supply a workflow file that causes this? Happy to have a deep dive but a hard one to replicate.

Cheers,
TheOC

Bulien
Labels