Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Want to filter previous 14 days based on hire date

mattcoleman
8 - Asteroid

I've found quite a few relevant topics in the community, but none of them seem to be working. I have a 'Hire Date' that comes in from a .csv into Alteryx in the format 4/16/2007 (general formats to 31988 in Excel....days from 1900?). I want to filter out only records that go backwards from today 14 days, so people that were hired in the last 14 days. The DateTimeToday() function has a different date format YYYY-MM-DD, and when I try to convert it from Excel to Alteryx I can't seem to get it working.

It seems like this has been covered a few places, but for some reason it's not working for me. My 'Hire Date' comes in as a V_WString, and I've tried changing it to a Date, DateTime, and an Int before converting to Alteryx date format, which all give me errors.

2 REPLIES 2
BPurcell2
9 - Comet

As you noticed, Alteryx reads dates as "YYYY-MM-DD."

You can use the DateTime tool in the Parse category and convert from string to date and selecting the MM/dd/yyyy (4/16/2007).  When Alteryx reads a .csv file it creates all fields as "V_String."  Even if you change the format in your source csv to (2007-04-16), you'll have to add a select tool to convert it to a date.

mattcoleman
8 - Asteroid

Definitely worked exactly as you stated. Converted the string to date using the DateTime tool (thought I could do that in Select, but guess not), then created a new column DateDiff using DateTimeDiff() in a Formula tool and filtered that number <= 14.

Thanks BPurcell!!!!

Labels