community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
#SANTALYTICS

The highly anticipated Alteryx Community tradition is back! We hope you'll join us!

Learn More
We will be upgrading the Gallery to our 2019.4 release this Saturday, December 7th beginning at 9:00am MT. We expect the outage to take last approx. 2.5 hours.

Waiting for file

Meteor

Hi,

I am struggling with (probably) a simple issue - at a certain point in my workflow I need to read data which might not exist at the moment but which should arrive and I want to wait for them.

I know that I need an interative macro but I am not sure how it should look like and how to include it into my workflow.
Here is what my macro might look like this:macro.JPG

In this example I am waiting for files c:\temp\Test.xlsx and i know that it is available as soon as the file Test.DONE exists.

Now what is missing is the iterative part and to embedd this into a workflow. 

Searching the Community I did not find an answer to this problem - maybe somebody can help me out.

Thanks a lot

ROGER

@rowada

Just to get some clarification here: are you waiting for the file to be placed in this directory by another application?

If so, what application puts the data there?

Are you wanting the contents of this file to trigger a process in Alteryx?

If I'm understanding this correctly, you might not even need a macro to iterate through a constant check for a file.  Alteryx can be called from the command line (and therefore triggered by other applications).

Meteor

Let me clarify better my usecase:
I have a workflow which...

1.) creates a file with instructions and uploads it to an ftp-server

2.) once uploaded the file should wait for the DONE-file which is created by a different process

3.) as soon as the DONE-file is available gets the data-file and continues

So the answer is yes - the 2 files (DATA-file containing the data, DONE-file indicating that the DATA-file is available) are placed into a directory by a different application which is triggered with 1.) and gives as result the 2 files. I have no influence on that application and therefor need to handle it with the steps 1.) - 3.).

Thx

ROGER

Atom

Was this ever resolved? I could really use something like this....

Meteor

Well the solution in the end was not that difficult:
I created an iterative macro with 2 macro-output - F(ound) and N(ot found).

From my workflow I used only the F for continuing - N means to wait.
Here a screenshot - unfortunately I cannot add the workflow (it is very specific for our case):

Alteryx_Waiting_for_file.JPG

Atom

Any chance you could provide the solution workflow? I am really bad with macros and have no idea where to even begin.

For example, what is your input? What is the cmd code used? Why not just use a directory tool to look for a file?

No worries if you can't provide it, I'll figure it out.

Meteor

Attached please find the macro. As I said it is very specific for my case (the file I am waiting for is located on an ftp-server).
Regards.

Atom

Really appreciate it!

Labels