Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Volume change by category type

kerrytaylor
7 - Meteor

Hello, i am trying to use Alteryx to understand volume (# SKU ) changes by category type MoM/ YoY. Example if a customer normally buys in my Low Touch Category but in the next Month/Qtrly/Year he buys in No Touch channel, then I would be able to quantify the volume (# SKU's) increase to NO Touch channel and volume decrease to Low touch Channel.  Any suggestion as to how I can use Alteryx to answer this question. I have attached a sample of my data here. 

17 REPLIES 17
AmeliaG
Alteryx
Alteryx

@kerrytaylor Can you please attached your sample data?

Also, can you please define the logic further? i.e. Will there be multiple categories in the same month for a single customer? If yes, how should that be treated?

kerrytaylor
7 - Meteor

@AmeliaG  Sample data attached.

Yes there can be multiple channel for a customer in the same quarter/year (not month). Each category is compared to the next qtr/Yr to see if there is a change in category. The change amount tells category performance i.e. increase/decrease sales 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @kerrytaylor 

I have a few questions about your data.

1.  some rows have null values in the Month column.  how do your treat those, ignore them?

2.  A few rows have an asterisk (*) in the Category field, i.e. High Touch*.  Do these count as separate categories or combined with the base category.

3.  You don't have any customer info in the file.  Will this workflow be run on a customer by customer basis, or do you want to process all customers at once.  If it's the latter, can you update the sample data with some dummy customers?

Thanks

Dan

kerrytaylor
7 - Meteor

Thank you for you help! below are my comments in red

1.  some rows have null values in the Month column.  how do your treat those, ignore them? Yes, the nulls will be ignored

2.  A few rows have an asterisk (*) in the Category field, i.e. High Touch*.  Do these count as separate categories or combined with the base category. Yes these are separate category

3.  You don't have any customer info in the file.  Will this workflow be run on a customer by customer basis, or do you want to process all customers at once.  If it's the latter, can you update the sample data with some dummy customers? See attached updated customer info.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @kerrytaylor 

I think you forgot to attached the updated customer file.

Dan

kerrytaylor
7 - Meteor
Sample file attached.

Kerry Taylor
Regional Analytics Associate
Email: ktaylo55@its.jnj.com
Johnson & Johnson
8800 Grand Oak Circle
Tampa Florida 33637
[JnJ_Global_Services_Preferred_cmyk]

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail transmission is confidential and may be privileged information that is intended only for the individual or entity named in the e-mail address. If you are not the intended recipient and believe you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please reply to the sender, so that we can arrange for proper delivery, and then please delete the message from your inbox. The unauthorized use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this e-mail, including attachments, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not a waiver of any attorney/client or other privilege. Thank you.
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @kerrytaylor 

I still can't see your new attachment.  Could something be blocking it at your end?

Dan

kerrytaylor
7 - Meteor

@danilang  attaching sample data

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@kerrytaylor 

Thanks.  I can see it now.  Just to be clear.  Is what you're referring to as "Customer" actually the "Supplier" column in your updated sample?

Dan

Labels