Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Vlookup Across Two Columns And Sheets

Melibau
6 - Meteoroid

Hello!

I have two excel sheets where the emails are slightly different across the two sheets. I've created mock examples below and highlighted the difference:

Sheet One (also includes salary level) is the master sheet and the data doesn't change:

Melibau_0-1601942702837.png

Sheet Two (Does not include salary level) is a weekly file that is pulled and the data can change from week to week:

Melibau_1-1601942759122.png

Is there a tool that can search by both the first and last name and output the salary level into sheet two? 

I tried using a Find and Replace tool, but it only allows me to choose one column, which doesn't output the salary levels correctly if someone shares the same first or last name. I need to keep the first and last name separate or I think it would work better than the email. The Union and Join tool don't seem to be correct either (but I just might not be doing it correctly). It works in Excel, but still trying to understand the advanced Vlookup skills in Alteryx.

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Can you use a join tool for the two datasets and pick the first name and last name as columns to be joined on?

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

join.png

Melibau
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Brandon for the idea. I had tried that but it only joined a couple (eg 5 entries were joined of the 55 that should have been joined). In Excel, my vlookup is able to join almost everything (eg 52 entries of the total 55 entries brought a salary level result).

PhilippK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Melibau ,

maybe the names are written differently in data set 1 & 2?

I recommend that you join both data sets via the email field instead.

Does this produce the desired outcome?

If not - I'll have a look if you send me the pseudonymized data.

Best regards

Phil

Melibau
6 - Meteoroid

Actually I tried it again, but I did some data cleansing as the master file was all in Caps. That seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

Labels