Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

View All Output Tools in Designer Workflow

mriordan
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All- 

I'm wondering if there is a way to view all of the input/output tools in a workflow at once.  I have a workflow where there are many input & output tools located all over the (very large) workflow.  I know, best practice would be to consolidate them all in to one container, with proper documentation, but we're past that. That can be a clean-up phase when we have more time.

I'm a reviewer and just need to see the inputs & outputs at a high level; what goes in and what comes out. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks! 

4 REPLIES 4
Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

Hi @mriordan ,

Basically you just want to add browse tools at the places you want to check right?

What helps me is to use CTRL-F in combination with this, that way you can select all browse tools pretty fast (it feels like multiple tabs). 

Beware tough that browse tools do impact performance of the workflow so you might want to disable (by container) or remove them.

Greetings, 

Seb

DataNath
17 - Castor

@mriordan would you be interested in something like this? The input here is just the workflow you want to analyse in it's raw XML form. To get this, I'd just make a copy of the target workflow, before renaming it like any other file and changing the file extension to .xml:

DataNath_0-1666366104221.png

We can then bring this into Alteryx like any other supported file type:

DataNath_1-1666366161662.png

After parsing, adding an Input/Output flag and trimming down the data set, we're left with something like this (have included a small handful of examples):

DataNath_2-1666366212210.pngDataNath_3-1666366257581.png

DataNath_4-1666366282815.png

Have attached my workflow for reference - hope this helps.

mriordan
6 - Meteoroid

Exactly what I'm looking for.  Thanks! 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @mriordan 

@DataNath provided a very good solution by treating the workflow as data and parsing the input and output tool info.  OOTB thinking at it's best. 

If it truly is "Exactly what I'm looking for. ", show him some love by accepting his answer as a solution.  Not only does this encourage him to continue helping out on the community, but the Community search engine also gives a higher weight to posts marked as solutions.  This will help other users find his solution in similar cases.

Dan  

Labels