Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Value fields in CSV Input Data

pliskers_dup_528
7 - Meteor

I load a large CSV file into a workflow.  There are numerous string fields in the CSV, moving from left to right, followed by 4 fields of values, and with one string field at the right end.  When I look at the metadata for the input data, all fields are appearing as VString fields.  

Do I need to be concerned about this, or will the values in the fields shown as VString be properly treated as values?  Do I need to use the ToNumber function on all of the value fields?  I tried that, but in the output from the formula the numeric fields still appear as VString.

I'm relatively new to Alteryx and appreciate any input as I develop my ways of working.

2 REPLIES 2
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Try using an AUTO FIELD tool after the input.  There is a Tool Mastery document here to help guide you.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
pliskers_dup_528
7 - Meteor

Thank you.  A more experienced coworker also suggested that I use the Select Tool rather than a formula.  I just changed the field type in the Select Tool to Double and everything seems OK now.

Labels