Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

VPN performance issues

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Does anyone else experience longer wait times when using Alteryx over VPN vs directly connected? Note that I've been having these issues well before 11.0. When I'm at work, Alteryx is lightning fast. When I'm home over VPN, things take longer. I use a macro repository that is stored on a network folder, and it takes 2+ minutes to start Alteryx compared to 15 seconds in the office. I figured out that deleting the macro repo got me back to a 15 second time. Whenever I'm working with the input tool trying to hit network files or different databases, it is painfully slow. Not mention that when I do click run, it takes much longer over VPN vs if I was in the office. 

I'm assuming the answer is no, but is there anything I can really do to speed things over VPN? 

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Digan,

I would imagine that a mapped network drive will run slowly because Windows will be checking to see if the drive exists.  Maybe you could use UNC paths instead?

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
anthony
11 - Bolide

Are you using windows remote desktop after vpn? Or are you using alteryx locally and connecting to drives via vpn?

I use remote desktop over vpn for secure tunnel and it works great. There is a slight delay of mouse/keys but almost not noticeable.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@MarqueeCrew I indeed was using mapped drive names. I'll switch it to UNC and see if it helps at startup.

@anthony We're currently using alteryx locally and connecting drives via VPN. We're exploring switching to a remote desktop like you're describing. I'm very glad to hear that your remote desktop setup is working well.

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I've also experienced a significant lag over VPN (since I first tried Alteryx years ago).  Always just attributed it to the nature of the connection and all of the extra layers that go into it.

Now, I use a remote desktop connection.  Not only is it faster to use Alteryx on a remote desktop, but now I can use it on other interfaces - like an iPad.

Labels