Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

VLOOKUP a string within a cell

dylanjones9
5 - Atom

I have this issue where I am trying to VLOOKUP the contents of a cell in column A, within a cell in another file, in this case a product number. Essentially VLOOKUP a string. For example, if column A on my supporting file has the code of "ABCD" and column B has information of "Not Finished" then I want to bring column B's information into my main file as a new column to then ultimately be able to filter to finished goods or non-finished goods. The main file has a product number, example "055ABCDUL1" where I then want to find that string within the product number to see if it is a finished good or not. 

Take this example table of my supporting file:

Column AColumn B
ABCDNot Finished
ABABFinished
etc...etc...

and VLOOKUP in Column B's contents to this (my main file):

Product NumberColumn B
055ABCDUL1?
030CABABT15?
555DHABCDUL45?
T55DSABAB23NRG?

Hope that makes sense how I explained it, but what formula tools or join tools etc. that I can use, I am not sure. Thanks for the help!

5 REPLIES 5
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @dylanjones9 

I would use the find and replace tool, attached is an example.

Luke_C_0-1624462948937.png

dylanjones9
5 - Atom

Thank you so much! However just to clarify, I want this to not actually replace the product number with "finished" or "not finished". I need this as an additional column. Is that what will happen here? or will it replace the product number? I cannot get rid of that

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @dylanjones9 

If you look in my screenshot you'll see the column is being added. The find and replace tool can either replace a value in an existing field as well as append a column for things that match, making it a useful lookup tool. We are doing the latter here. You can refer to the screenshot and attached workflow's configurations. Hope that helps.

dylanjones9
5 - Atom

Thanks! I am still fairly new to Alteryx, so this was a huge help for me! Appreciate it

minhdvo
7 - Meteor

Thank you.

It works for my case.

Labels