Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using yxdb as input to an Action tool

calloni
9 - Comet

Hello

I've created a tiny workflow that gets the Max date of my products and saves it in a yxdb file:

dataset.jpg

In another flow I've loaded this yxdb and tried to link it to the Action tool (as input) but Alteryx doesn't seem to like this.

calloni_0-1576702676994.png

So my question is: how would it be the procedure that does this:

1 - Picks the max date of products from one (or multiple) datasources

2 - Use the max data into the workflow to configure an action tool?

Thanks in advance

Rodrigo

6 REPLIES 6
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @calloni ,

What will you update with your action tool?

It is not possible to link directly to an action tool, but you can consume the data using a control parameter to update anything else.

Take a look at the example and see if it makes sense to you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

calloni
9 - Comet

Hi Fernando

Here is a bigger picture.

I have a workflow that loads data from several sources. Once the historical load is done I can then only do incremental loads, appending the new data to the hyper file.

The issue I have is that sometimes a source has no new data today so I can't use the "yesterday" date as a fixed parameter. If I ran the process today for example, one of the datasets last date is December 9.

To solve that I am picking the max date for each product and building that little dataset I attached in my question. Then I want to use this to configure the from date to each input tool (some are SQL queries, others are SOQL, Google Analytics, etc) so that I only get data from the last date for each product.

So in theory I have all pieces I need to make the process automatic but I am not sure how to connect the dots now.

Rodrigo

calloni
9 - Comet

Oh I got the files now. So the procedure here is to put the workflow inside the macro so I can pass the value from input file into the workflow tools.

I will give it a try now.

Thanks

Rodrigo

DanielBr
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Rodrigo,

I would put the workflow inside a macro. This will enable you to use the macro input and connect to the action tool

DanielBr_1-1576704826065.png

DanielBr_0-1576704358251.png

Please mark this as a solution if it solves your problem.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @calloni ,

So the idea is to create a macro where you can get that date using a batch macro.

First I have created a SQL query example as below

fmvizcaino_0-1576705135209.png

Then in the action tool, I select what I want to replace in the query:

fmvizcaino_1-1576705217654.png

And that you can do for every query/connection you have. See attached example and let me know if that works for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

calloni
9 - Comet

This is awesome Fernando.

Several things I learned here and now I can improve my Macros. I watched a training and I wasn't clear how the replace string in the Action tool worked. Now it is much clear!

Thanks thanks!
Rodrigo

Labels