Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using yxdb as input to an Action tool

calloni
9 - Comet

Hello

I've created a tiny workflow that gets the Max date of my products and saves it in a yxdb file:

dataset.jpg

In another flow I've loaded this yxdb and tried to link it to the Action tool (as input) but Alteryx doesn't seem to like this.

calloni_0-1576702676994.png

So my question is: how would it be the procedure that does this:

1 - Picks the max date of products from one (or multiple) datasources

2 - Use the max data into the workflow to configure an action tool?

Thanks in advance

Rodrigo

6 REPLIES 6
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @calloni ,

What will you update with your action tool?

It is not possible to link directly to an action tool, but you can consume the data using a control parameter to update anything else.

Take a look at the example and see if it makes sense to you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

calloni
9 - Comet

Hi Fernando

Here is a bigger picture.

I have a workflow that loads data from several sources. Once the historical load is done I can then only do incremental loads, appending the new data to the hyper file.

The issue I have is that sometimes a source has no new data today so I can't use the "yesterday" date as a fixed parameter. If I ran the process today for example, one of the datasets last date is December 9.

To solve that I am picking the max date for each product and building that little dataset I attached in my question. Then I want to use this to configure the from date to each input tool (some are SQL queries, others are SOQL, Google Analytics, etc) so that I only get data from the last date for each product.

So in theory I have all pieces I need to make the process automatic but I am not sure how to connect the dots now.

Rodrigo

calloni
9 - Comet

Oh I got the files now. So the procedure here is to put the workflow inside the macro so I can pass the value from input file into the workflow tools.

I will give it a try now.

Thanks

Rodrigo

DanielBr
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Rodrigo,

I would put the workflow inside a macro. This will enable you to use the macro input and connect to the action tool

DanielBr_1-1576704826065.png

DanielBr_0-1576704358251.png

Please mark this as a solution if it solves your problem.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @calloni ,

So the idea is to create a macro where you can get that date using a batch macro.

First I have created a SQL query example as below

fmvizcaino_0-1576705135209.png

Then in the action tool, I select what I want to replace in the query:

fmvizcaino_1-1576705217654.png

And that you can do for every query/connection you have. See attached example and let me know if that works for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

calloni
9 - Comet

This is awesome Fernando.

Several things I learned here and now I can improve my Macros. I watched a training and I wasn't clear how the replace string in the Action tool worked. Now it is much clear!

Thanks thanks!
Rodrigo

Labels