Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using variables for tables in SQL editor

mikucera
5 - Atom

I would like to use an sql statement to load data to Alteryx that contains a variable for a table, e.g.:

declare @table_name as varchar(128)
set @table_name='my_table'
EXEC ('SELECT * from ' @table_name)

However Alteryx doesn't read the data in this way. Is it possible to do this somehow?
6 REPLIES 6
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mikucera ,

You can put this is in a macro and feed in the table value as a parameter, either generated by logic, or selected via an interface tool (text input, dropdown etc.) but is there any reason you're using a SQL statement rather than just using Alteryx?

Can you give us a bit more info?

M.

Bulien

mikucera
5 - Atom

Hi @mceleavey ,

the sql query that I'd like to use to load the data is quite long with many joins and I found using joins in Alteryx not very user friendly so inputing this as a sql code would be much easier in the context of all the remaining parts of the whole workflow that will consist of other data inputs. 

I will explore the alternative options, or I'll just use the sql code without the variable.

Many thanks,

Michal

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mikucera ,

that's really interesting that you find SQL joins more user friendly than Alteryx! I've never heard it that way around before!

With Alteryx there's no coding and you can literally take all possible outcomes (left, right, inner, left outer etc.) simultaneously from one tool.

I'm guessing you haven't been using Alteryx long and have become accustomed to using SQL?

M.

Bulien

mikucera
5 - Atom

Yes, you are right that I haven't been using Alteryx very long time and it's just my very first impression that e.g. the left/right join (left/right in SQL language) is bit "clumsy" while you have to include the UNION..  But thanks again, I will explore the options.

Michal

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mikucera ,

Yes, the coding in SQL is really clumsy compared to Alteryx. You can simply connect your data source, select the table or tables you want and you can then join them in the visual query builder:

mceleavey_0-1622045793416.png

Or pull them into Alteryx and use the simple drag and drop tools:

mceleavey_1-1622045868632.png

mceleavey_3-1622045907837.png

M.

Bulien

Mitch_S
7 - Meteor

I too would love to be able to figure out how to use DECLARE and SET in Alteryx's SQL Editor. I always prefer command lines over GUIs and find SQL much more efficient for coding, then I just use Alteryx to automate the extraction and distribution of the data. 

Labels