Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using the interface tools to pick the fields that should be mapped in a select tool

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi

I've been playing around with the interface tools and the select tool and can't get something working, which I imagine is possible but would like some help/input into getting a solution.

Problem:

For different input files (but each file would broadly have similar data in) I need to rename certain fields so they will pass through to a Tableau dashboard. As each input file may be in a different language or field name headings may vary slightly and/or the order of the fields may be different per client, I need a way to update the way the select tool is working through a user interface.

An example of the current select tool set up is below:

Capture.PNG

What I want the solution to be able to do:

What I would like to have is a set of drop down boxes using the interface tools, which enable the user to pick the fields in the input file and map these to the corresponding required fields for the Tableau input.

A mock up would look like this (assuming the translation to French works):

Capture2.PNG

So any pointers or help from the Community would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
13 REPLIES 13
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

@cgoodman3

Good to hear you're getting close! @BenMoss's modification of my original workflow should be what you need.

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Thanks both, I think I've got what I need. I'll now test with other files.

Like most things I've found there always seems to be a way to do it in Alteryx :)

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

And usually there are 8 different ways to achieve it!

avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid

@cgoodman3 Hey - I'm working on a similar task where I need the analytic app to show the possible fields as a dropdown and allow the user to map which is the correct field. Were you able to get this working and would you be wiling to share the workflow? (I'm also trying to embed this but that's another story.. because it not possible to implement the file browser when embedding the workflow.)

Labels