Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using the interface tools to pick the fields that should be mapped in a select tool

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi

I've been playing around with the interface tools and the select tool and can't get something working, which I imagine is possible but would like some help/input into getting a solution.

Problem:

For different input files (but each file would broadly have similar data in) I need to rename certain fields so they will pass through to a Tableau dashboard. As each input file may be in a different language or field name headings may vary slightly and/or the order of the fields may be different per client, I need a way to update the way the select tool is working through a user interface.

An example of the current select tool set up is below:

Capture.PNG

What I want the solution to be able to do:

What I would like to have is a set of drop down boxes using the interface tools, which enable the user to pick the fields in the input file and map these to the corresponding required fields for the Tableau input.

A mock up would look like this (assuming the translation to French works):

Capture2.PNG

So any pointers or help from the Community would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
13 REPLIES 13
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

This is definitely possible and is something I have done myself end to end.

Please find the attached configuration, this is all about the actions used to overwrite the placeholders that exist in the initial dataset.

Ben

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @cgoodman3

I think you need a setup like this:

Changing Columns.PNG

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi Ben

Are you able to share screenshots or share a version created in an earlier version of Alteryx, my employer has only recently got us onto 11.5 and I get an error to say the packaged file has been created in a newer version.

Thanks

Chris

Chris
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Of course, does this work, i'll send a 2nd post with the input file which you will need to configure the macro input to point at.

Ben

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Here is the placeholder data.

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @LordNeilLord

Thanks that is along the lines of what I was after, however if I change the input file using the browse to file interface tool, then in the analytic app GUI it doesn't refresh the field names based on the new file it as it still reads them in from the input file "Sample - EU Superstore". To do that would it need to be broken into two stages: (1) to get the field names which go into the drop down box and (2) update the select tool?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

In that instance you need to set up the config to read the meta data from the file browse, like in this image.

Interface Config.png

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi Ben

I can get the macro to load but when I try to load the macro into a workflow I'm getting an error stating that "The file is not a valid Macro". I think I'm getting the concept here and it might also solve the issue I've just raised with @LordNeilLord's solution. 

I'll report back shortly...

Chris
Labels