Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using the drop-down to provide a field value

kbrummert
6 - Meteoroid

I am creating an app where I want to prompt the user with a drop-down to select the date, i.e. they are loading a formatted file, but I want to attach a date field value based on user selection, e.g. "2018-06"

I have created a flow with a formula to provide it, and have tested with a dummy value which populates a column when I hardcode it.  However, when I run the app, the drop-down prompt I set up to populate an update value doesn't even pop up!  The flow just runs without prompting, even though the drop down and update value is connected to a formula.

How is the prompt not even working, and how do I get it to prompt to populate a column in the flow result?

6 REPLIES 6
KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @kbrummert,

Is this happening when you hit the wand to run the app? Can you try via interface designer > Test View, in order to see if the dropdown appears there. 

You can also check the workflow configuration to make sure that it is not set as a macro accidentally.

If the problem still exists, can you please post screenshots of the App Interface and the workflow? (As I'm guessing you may not be able to upload the actual workflow).

kbrummert
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the tip.  Very helpful.

I was clicking the workflow button instead of the wand, so the dropdown wasn't running.  Now it does.

Now all that's left is to figure out how to set a variable using the drop-down, so that I can pass it to a field value.

The Alteryx documentation is nearly useless.  It always seems to walk you part of the way and doesn't finish explaining.  I am not one to ask questions on forums if the answers are out there, but it seems I have no choice.  :-)

Thanks again!

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Take a look at "Help > Sample Workflows > Use Scripting and Automation tools > Build an App > Calculate a Mortgage Payment". that sample has 2 dropdowns configured slightly differently that will hopefully show the available methods.

In terms of the documentation, we have so much out there that some times it can be harder to find the exact example you are looking for. I'm quite sure that the content/enablement teams would like to hear any suggestions that you have to make the training/samples easier to find or navigate, or the specific issue that you had finding the required documentation. Please, if you can enter that on to the ideas community, so that we can address it as we look to make changes to the way samples are delivered in the future. Direct customer feedback is the best motivation and helps to deliver the best product!

kbrummert
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for pointing that out.  It was not under the workflows you showed me in the Help menu, but I found something called "02 Mortgage Calculator", which appeared to be the same thing.

mmcgrath006
5 - Atom

I think I am having a similar problem but cannot identify a solution (even after reviewing the Mortgage Calculator). I want the dropdown option (Low, Medium, High) to populate the value (5, 50, 100) in a new column titled "Size", so I have connected the Dropdown --> Action --> Formula, but I am unsure what to enter into the Formula tool.  Example, if the user selects Low within the dropdown, I want the whole column "Size" to show 5. 

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @mmcgrath006 ,

In the formula tool, put a number, and then in the action select "@expression...."

Labels