Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using the Radio Buttons to Filter

kkaplan1
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am looking to use the Radio Button option in the Interface Tools to filter. We are creating an Alteryx where we have a table of users that have different regions assigned to them. I want to be able to filter on the region based on the radio button I choose while running the Workflow. For example, I want to be able to select "LATAM" as my region on the Analytical App and then run it and the users with "LATAM" are the only users left in the output. Is there a way to make this work? 

I know I can embed a regular filter tool into the Workflow but I thought the radio buttons would make it a lot easier to run the Workflow. Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
DataNath
17 - Castor

@kkaplan1 I know you mention a Filter tool in your original post, but I'm wondering why you want to shy away from this? For this use case I'd say that's definitely the best option. Then you could simply use something like a Dropdown interface tool to provide a list of Region options that will then update your filter when you run the app. Radio buttons tend to be used for making the interface cleaner and nesting optional selections/lists within them, or providing a 'one or the other' choice to users - I wouldn't say they're the best option here and would say a Dropdown (or maybe even a text box if you'd like manual entry) is the way to go, which then feeds a Filter.

I've attached a copy of a very simple mock app I created that does just this - filters a data set based on user selection of a Region.

DataNath_0-1657058951458.pngDataNath_1-1657058972978.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@kkaplan1 I am not sure you can use the radio button to update the filter, I would suggest use the drop down tool in this usecase. Attaching a sample workflow for your reference

binuacs_0-1657059029141.png

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @kkaplan1 

Check out the Tree Interface Tool example. Since you want the available options to be limited by a separate "a table of users", the 3rd example "Custom File/ Database" seems quite close to what you are after.

Tree tool example.PNG

Dawn.

kkaplan1
7 - Meteor

Thank you very much for the suggestion @DataNath . It worked. Much appreciated!

Labels