Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using only one "Formula Tool" to find percentages of each value in the list

ibrahimtorunergil
7 - Meteor

I have 5 students and their exam results (total of results is 400). I want to calculate the percentage of each student's result. Is there any formula like this: [result] / SUM [result] in Formula tool?

I can do it using Append tool, but I wonder is there anyway to do in Formula tool?

1 REPLY 1
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx
The way that I have always done these calculations is to use a summarize tool and append the value on to each row of the original data with a formula tool after to perform the calculation as you mentioned

The reason for this is that although Alteryx operates on entire columns at one time, the functions operate on each row of data. Technically you could do this with a running total, a sort from largest to smallest on the running total, a subsequent multi row tool that sets every value to the row above it effectively making each value of the column the same as the sum of the other column. This requires more tools, however, and isn’t as efficient.
Labels