Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using command prompt to run workflow without software being open

trevorwightman
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I just have the regular designer package (and am the only employee with access to Alteryx) and my company has not upgraded us to be able to run workflows on a scheduled basis. I am trying to find a way to build "workflow A" that references  "file A" in "location A" where both "employee A" and myself have access to via a shared drive. Once everything is prepped I was hoping employee A could run a command file which runs "workflow A" and thus their task can be completed without my interaction. The benefit of this is that sometimes I may be unavailable and I want them to be self sufficient. Is this possible to do? Or or this the exact reason why we would need more licenses and/or would need the scheduler part of the software.

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @trevorwightman 

A Designer license alone does not have the ability to execute workflows via command prompt. The way that companies deploy Alteryx is with a Designer license for every individual who plans on building and a server license for the scheduling and collaboration. One benefit of Server is that you can have non designer users who can execute workflows on demand even without being a Designer user like a business stakeholder for example. You can take this one step further and even create an analytic app which allows for an end user to pick a specific option that runs a workflow in a different way on demand. This allows for self service analytics from both the perspective of an analyst as well as other non technical individuals in the business. 

trevorwightman
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for the response! So as I understand it, we'll either need to get another designer license (~$5k I believe) for that second person to run the workflow, or we need to get the Server license (~$70k I believe). Correct?

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

The short answer is yes, but I would highly suggest speaking with the account executive and solution engineer in contact with your company to make sure that your final decision aligns with both your immediate and longer term objectives. 

trevorwightman
8 - Asteroid

This is the direction I needed, thanks so much!

Labels