Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Using cache and run workflow

Yuri24
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

Can we use a cached input (cache and run workflow) from one workflow into another workflow? In other words cache once in a workflow and reuse it across different workflows?

TIA

6 REPLIES 6
CathyS_Slalom
9 - Comet

Hi @Yuri24, I don't think that you could import your cached workflow into another one. You could all of the non-cached first workflow tools into 1 container and disable it, and copy paste tools from another workflow to connect with cached tools.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Yuri24 

What kind of input is it? When you cache an input it's just saving a .yxdb file in your temp folders. Maybe its worth converting your input to a yxdb to speed up the other workflows that rely on this? I do this pretty frequently with large excel files.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Yuri24 
Agree with comment from @Luke_C , .yxdb is a very efficient and compact database format, which can serve the silimar role as a ”Cache”. 😁

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

@Yuri24 There isn't a straightforward way to connect a cache from one workflow to another. Technically you if you go to C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine and find the correct folder for the workflow you created the cache, the YXDB file will be there. But this is just not ideal. The best way is, as @Luke_C mentioned, set up an output tool that created the YXDB on a easy location with an easy name so then you can refer to it on the other workflow. 

Yuri24
8 - Asteroid

@Luke_C I am using an OCI connection for a database query input. I see what you are saying. I am pulling a lot of data and probably be easier to store in a local database/table if a yxdb has limitations.

Thanks.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Yuri24 

Definitely, OCI connections can be slow. I've dealt with this exact situation by loading the query into a YXDB and using that as the input file, not sure what limitations you're referring to. When you need the query to be refreshed, just override the yxdb. 

Labels