Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using an App to Update Multiple Records

RSchomer
7 - Meteor

I have a set of data which includes a series of scheduled events.  Each record has a generic description of the individual event, such as Meeting or Luncheon.  I would like to develop an app which allows a user to change each records description via a series Text Box interface tools.  This, in essence, would override the description data from the source report.  If the original data is unchanged, I would like to keep it as it appears from the source report.  I have limited experience working with Alteryx Apps and need a nudge in the right direction.  So far I haven't been able to figure this one out.

Source Report Snapshot:

BeforeDescChange.PNG

Desired Outcome (with highlighted changes):

AfterDescChange.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
danrh
13 - Pulsar

It's a little tricky to update multiple records at once.  If you were to require the user to update one at a time, then you can create a dropdown where they select the record they want to update and then enter a new description.  If you really need to update multiples in a single go, I'd suggest putting a free-text box and giving FIRM instructions on how to enter data - at this point the user can enter as many ID's as they want, and you can use Alteryx to parse out the ID's and the new descriptions.

In that attached I've given an example of how both would work.  Take a look and see if it makes sense.  Note that when you run it as an app you get prompted for both apps, as they're in the same workflow.  To see how they work/look independently, enable/disable the tool containers.

RSchomer
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the assistance.  The "one at a time" solution will probably work the best for my situation.  I'm playing with this method now to see if it will accomplish all my requirements.

As for your attachment, I kept running into a strange little string field error.  I ended up having to update Action tool 17 to account for the new description column.  

danrh
13 - Pulsar

I think I didn't have it configured correctly.  Should be:

image.png

RSchomer
7 - Meteor

Is there another way to create the dropdown list besides the Cross Tab tool?  If the EventID field has any special characters in it, such as @, /, or |, the Cross Tab tool replaces them with underscores.

danrh
13 - Pulsar

Unfortunately the Dropdown tool always takes the values from the field names.  To get around the special character issue, I'd suggest something like this:

image.png

In the Formula tool, we're creating an extra field with the EventID.  Then in the Cross Tab, we use one EventID as the column names, and one as field values.  The column names end up with special characters replaced, but the field values still have them.  In the Dynamic Rename tool, we then select to use the first row of data as new column names, and we get the special characters to come through.  A lengthier work-around then I'd like, but it gets the job done.

RSchomer
7 - Meteor

Yes, that does get the job done.  Thank you.

FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

With the solution for entering values one at a time, if I enter one updated value and then run thru the wizard again to update a second value, the first value is overwritten.  Is there a solution for this?  Thank you!

Labels