Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using a formula to replace certain fields

jhosmer002
7 - Meteor

Hello! I have a large dataset that requires manual edits in individual fields and I would like to see if Alteryx can be used to make this manual edits. 

The affected columns are Company Name and Partner Name. I need to change the Partner Name associated to a certain company, without replacing the Partner's Name throughout the entire sheet.   Ex. ABC Company currently lists Joe Smith as the Partner Name, however I would like to change the Partner Name to John Doe. This change will affect 3 cells. 

Here is the formula I am using for this: 

Output Column = Partner Name

IF [Company Name]='ABC Company' THEN [Partner Name]='John Doe' ELSE [Partner Name] ENDIF

The formula does not produce an error, however, it does output a "0" in the Partner Name fields I am looking to update. When I changed the Output Column to Company Name, it deleted all values in the entire Company Name column. 

Ideally I would like to determine a way to make this individual cell changes using Alteryx for many other situations in this sheet as well. 

Thank you! 

2 REPLIES 2
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jhosmer002 this syntax should work 

Output Column = Partner Name

IF [Company Name]='ABC Company' THEN 'John Doe' ELSE [Partner Name] ENDIF

For other changes you could build your if statement like this IF [Company Name]='ABC Company' THEN 'John Doe' ELSEIF 'BCd Company' THEN "Sarah Doe" ELSE [Partner Name] ENDIF

Or you could adopt an approach of having your manual changes in a text put and using a join to replace the key fields. I've attached a workflow to showcase this. 

jhosmer002
7 - Meteor

It worked! Thank you! 

Labels