Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using a Control Parameter for dynamic filtering

baarthe
6 - Meteoroid

Hi everyone,

I am trying to set up a dynamic filtering function i.e. a function which will filter on a given column against a list of values which is dynamic i.e. which is based on a user's input. In other word:

1. The user provides his list of conditions as an input CSV file. See attached "User_Filtering_Condition" which is pre-populated (for the sake of the example here) with a list of values to filter for (the first cell is a header)

2. A dataset made of a number of columns and rows. One of the column, called "Topic", is the column where we want to look for the conditions outlined above. For the sake of the example, I have only retained the "Topic column from the dataset (See "Dataset")

The goal is to return the same dataset with one additional binary ("Yes" / "No") column called "Condition Met", which indicates whether any of the values from the "User_Filtering_Condition" file have been found on the "Topic" column. I am trying to flag whenever a condition provided by the user is found in one of the cells from the "Topic" column. The "Output" file attached is what I would expect to return.

Any idea how to do that? I thought of using a batch macro but I am having a hard time, macros are not my strengths on Alteryx.

Thanks everyone for your perspective.

Barthe

3 REPLIES 3
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@baarthe 
I think a Find and Replace Tool can do the work.

0303-baarthe.PNG

baarthe
6 - Meteoroid

Nebula,

This is a marvellous solution. So simple, yet so efficient. It's a wonder, and I'm just pissed I didn't think of it ^^

Thanks again, this is perfect 🙂

Closing this.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@baarthe 
Glad to help and thank you for the accept mark.😁

Labels