Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Text Input to Dynamically read input and manipulate data

Jax23
7 - Meteor

Hi Alteryx,

I am stuck and not able to dynamically read an excel file and manipulate the data.....

Basically I have excel spread sheets saved in a shared drive where the name is in a generic format eg name + date. I would like the user to be able to enter the date so that the Dynamic Input tool will read the respective spreadsheet and then manipulate the data from there.

I was able to read the spread sheet but it comes up under another browser instead of the Dynamic Input in the work flow which would mean I won't be able to add in any filtering etc after the Dynamic Input tool..

Any solutions to this?

Also does Alteryx store the entered value so that I can call the value anywhere in the workflow and if so how do I do this?

workflow.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Here's a video that might help you:

https://youtu.be/k5cVUa0Oq70

Cheers,

Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Jax23
7 - Meteor
Thanks Mark. There where some good information in your video however it doesn't solve my problem. Cheers Jax
SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Jax23 what do you mean by it comes up in a new browser? from what I can see the macro looks good, I would just suggest putting in a template that matches what the input file looks like, rather than the csv. It will try to read in the xlsx file as a csv and will likely error.

Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.
Jax23
7 - Meteor
All good now guys, I've worked it out. Thanks.
owenkosnen
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Jax23 , I wonder how did you solve this problem? I also encounter same issue and would like to manipulate data after Dynamic Input Tool.

Labels